• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head needed (1 Viewer)

Hi all... changed my scope and now wanting a half decent
Tripod and head set up
I now have a Swarovski ats 65
So say around £250-£300 region.
I will look at all recommendations

Regards Baz

Lots of sturdy tripods...I know I use a Benro....but don't scrimp or else your scope will be wobbly. For the head...use a video type head, such as Monfrotto 701 series. A scope is different from a camera and like video equipment, you want a study based but easy to move and twist around etc....

I use a Leica Televid 77 with Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 Carbon Fibre Tripod with a Manfrotto MVH500 Pro Fluid Video Head. I find this combination to be stable with my scope.

Hello,

Imans66 is right...lots of good choices.

Last year I purchased a 2nd hand Manfrotto 190 tripod w/128RC fluid head. I find it pretty good. Not too heavy and easy to use, etc. I purchased it at an 'online" auction for $89...Came like new in a trendy Manfrotto Euro black/red stripe carry bag...
Your ATS65 would work great on this tripod/head and it would be rock steady.

I know everyone has different tastes/needs and some of the hardcore regulars here have far more modern/state of the art equipment... Some don't like to purchase 2nd hand, I get that also....

If you look on Ebay UK, Gumtree UK or OLX...There are probably quite a few to choose from. What you'd save over new could fund a short expedition to use your gear. (Or as you English say, Kit)?

Last edited:
Hi Baz,

I'd buy this one - it's basically my Velbon Carmagne 535 with another name and that works quite brilliantly...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-C...d587:g:hhsAAOSw6PtchkQo&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Please throw away the included 3 way head and get a 500AH - used is fine, they are fairly indestructible.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANFROTT...380504?hash=item2ae6b70518:g:XOkAAOSwwnpejbGR

Use some of the saved dough to get a mulepack.

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/mulepack....MI-oLIn8P_4gIVKL7tCh0wZg1jEAAYASAAEgKpYvD_BwE

Joachim

Manfrotto 128RC for the head. The ATS foot fits directly into it. No need to futz with the plate. Best thing about that scope.

I believe it should be decently balanced. For a number of years I used the previous version of the 128RC (3130) to support an ATS80 and was very happy with it. I threw the plate away. Moved on to the ATX95 for the improved optics and 70x. Grudgingly learned to live with the sub-optimal plate-scope attachment.

Words fail to portray the deep and vile hatred I have of the state of the industry when it comes to scope feet, plates and heads. Almost all plate/foot interfaces will swivel somewhat. $4,500 scope views ruined by $2 loose mechanical parts. Even with anti-rotation pins there can be movement.

Oddly, the feet of the 60mm Opticron MM3 and MM4 I owned each had 2 threaded holes. I scrounged up extra screws and firmly anchored each scope to their respective plates using 2 screws each. No movement whatsoever with those combos. Although it really was overkill with the little 60mms.

Last edited:
Hi,

my Kowas have two threaded holes too, but I haven't used them. A drop of blue (non-permanent) loctite has so far done the trick...

Joachim, who really prefers to have accurate balance with a long plate and thus can keep the friction very low for smooth movements on the 500AH...

Good to know that about the Kowas. Loctite has helped somewhat in the past, but I don't like using it with optics.

Balance wasn't an issue until I moved to the ATX95. I could see where balance it a big deal for digiscoping with a 65 or 80. By itself the ATS65 should be fairly lightweight. Admittedly I've not used the 128RC, I'm just assuming its pretty much the same as its predecessor.

The 500AH was decent for the ATX95 elevation adjustment. I didn't care for the panning and the panning knob size and location. Gitzo GHF2W is better, but not perfect.

Last edited:
I believe it should be decently balanced. For a number of years I used the previous version of the 128RC (3130) to support an ATS80 and was very happy with it. I threw the plate away. Moved on to the ATX95 for the improved optics and 70x. Grudgingly learned to live with the sub-optimal plate-scope attachment.

Words fail to portray the deep and vile hatred I have of the state of the industry when it comes to scope feet, plates and heads. Almost all plate/foot interfaces will swivel somewhat. $4,500 scope views ruined by $2 loose mechanical parts. Even with anti-rotation pins there can be movement.

Oddly, the feet of the 60mm Opticron MM3 and MM4 I owned each had 2 threaded holes. I scrounged up extra screws and firmly anchored each scope to their respective plates using 2 screws each. No movement whatsoever with those combos. Although it really was overkill with the little 60mms.

Can you give a pic of this improvisation? Sounds good and yes, .....why can't they fix the mechanism to hold the scope in place. I was just out scoping the other day and came back and placed those comments in my diary!!!!.... jim

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303433058978

What do you think of this set up plz

Expensive. And the tripod is a bit on the light side...

The legs can be had at Uttings for 89 quid.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p121953-manfrotto-mt290xta3-290-xtra-tripod-mt290xta3/#.XqMA4fnRZH4

Same for the head - well, when it's back in stock.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p108483-manfrotto-128rc-micro-fluid-video-head-128rc/#.XqMBa_nRZH4

And Uttings are closed down...

But I would take the used gear I mentioned above any day over that kit... even at the normal prices...

Joachim

"Can you give a pic of this improvisation?"

Wasn't really an improvisation. No drilling or machining needed. The MM3/4s have feet with two 1/4" threaded holes. Using a slotted plate you easily use two 1/4" plate mounting screws. Extra plate screws, bushings or other little pieces can often be found at B&H Photo or Really Right Stuff.

I see that Wexphoto have an "open box" used Manfrotto MVH 500 head for £81 including delivery and a 10 year warranty. That is some buy.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfr...-video-head-with-60mm-half-ball-used-1725912/

They also have a used Gitzo head for £139.

Put eiother of the above on the tripod suggested by Jochaim and you have a fine setup. Oh and get a mulepack (or equivalent) - they are fantastic.

Ok just Purchased the above head from wexphoto.. now for a look for a decent tripod.. will go back and look through all mentioned... Ive been told that a better quality aluminium would be better than a carbon one .. coz they're more stead in the wind being heavier.

...Words fail to portray the deep and vile hatred I have of the state of the industry when it comes to scope feet, plates and heads... ...$4,500 scope views ruined by $2 loose mechanical parts...

I have felt the same, only feel better now because I've found solutions, and I remain mystified that so many expensive tripod and head systems still come standard with attachment systems that don't work. I guess most consumers don't care enough for the big brands to do better. For those consumers who did (and still do) care, companies like Really Right Stuff and Kirk Enterprises stepped in to fill the void in the 1990s. It is amazing to me that they have had so little competition over the years, and that these days their competition is mostly from Chinese copies, not improvements on the parts of the big brands like Manfrotto, Gitzo, Velbon etc.

...Almost all plate/foot interfaces will swivel somewhat...

In my experience, systems designed to be anti-twist work perfectly as long as they are robust (I've seen some cheap products, such as some plates from Sunwayfoto that are so thin or cut-away that they flex), do not incorporate a rubber or padded interface, and have a perfectly fitting antirotation feature, such as a matched contour (e.g. custom plates from RRS or Kirk), long lip or tabs, or a fixed and properly fitted pin.

I have zero problems with products from RRS, Kirk, and Desmond. By contrast, Gitzo and Manfrotto plates only (sometimes) work after extensive modification with solvents and a Dremel tool.

...Even with anti-rotation pins there can be movement...

Pins work well (with equipment designed for them) when they are the correct diameter and they are fixed in place. The ones that are spring-loaded, such as on some Gitzo and Manfrotto plates, are nothing but a joke.

--AP

Ok just Purchased the above head from wexphoto.. now for a look for a decent tripod.. will go back and look through all mentioned... Ive been told that a better quality aluminium would be better than a carbon one .. coz they're more stead in the wind being heavier.

Hi,

wouldn't say so... you can easily have some weight in your mulepack on any tripod and even use it in the form of a guide, some munchies and a bottle of water...

Also when it comes to dampening vibrations, it's aluminum (worst), carbon (ok) and finally wood (best but heavy).

That goes for roughly comparable tripods of course... if you compare this aluminum monstrosity with most carbon offerings, it will be more stable... but it's your back...

https://www.cullmann.de/detail/id/titan-935.html

Joachim

I feel some responsibilty now. Hope it is as good as the advert suggests. If not, it can go back (I purchased a used Gitzo from Wex and it was better than they described. Here's hoping......)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back