• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head needed (1 Viewer)

Plates from RRS and Kirk do not use rubber at all and they are so solid that they don't have to be tightened, sometimes even after years of use.

Sure, but I simply don't like Arca Swiss at all. I much prefer the old Manfrotto system (PL200 style) or, in some situations, Novoflex (the system with the round plates).

Plates with rubber are guaranteed to loosen in time and to never be rock solid. The Manfrotto plates with the rubber strips that squirt out the sides, buckle up etc (as shown in your photo) are horrible. I have one that I use regularly after modifying it by removing the rubber, then using a Dremel to grind the center section of metal (between the rubber strips) down to the level of the rest of the plate for exactly the length of my scope's foot, but leaving the remainder of the center section and the lip around the edge of the plate to serve as an antirotation feature.

I do the same. I've also got some old Manfrotto plates with a thin layer of natural cork, they work very well indeed. Much better than rubber. But metal to metal is best by far.

Hermann

...I simply don't like Arca Swiss at all. I much prefer the old Manfrotto system (PL200 style)...

What don't you like about the RRS, Kirk, Desmond, etc interpretations of the Arca style plates?

Having used both systems, my preference is very much the reverse of yours. I find the Arca type plates super versatile, very light weight, and absolutely secure. The PL200 plates are not secure over time, even when equipped with a pin they tend to loosen because of the fake cork. I still use one of them on a limited basis with a 60mm Fieldscope I to switch between a 700RC2 head and a car window mount that has a QR system that fits that plate.

--AP

I'm with Alex regarding Arca-Swiss style clamps. The original AS clamp/plate mechanism (without internal catch slots/pins) was awesome. Clamp and plate became one when tight. No movement between the two whatsoever. NONE. The AS B-1 ball head I have is 20 years old and can hold a mountain without exhibiting any movement. Downside is that back then there were no mechanisms to keep it from sliding free when the clamp was loose. More than one photographer had a $10k 600mm rig hit the ground.

Haven't really kept up on all the different AS imitations of other manufacturers. The one's I've seen are better than the infernal Bogen/Manfrotto 200PL, but can be irritating to mount/dismount.

One thing that I like about the Arca style for a system is that they can be made in such range of sizes to suit different purposes, from standard size, to long, to L-plates for cameras, to little square plates, to tiny plates for compact cameras or other small items. Likewise, clamps include screw knob, lever release, and threaded compatibility, and are available in many lengths, generally from 22 mm to 80 mm.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BPnS-S-Narrow-plate-for-pocket-Point-n-Shoot

--AP

I use a Mulepack and it is fantastic. I use a Mulepack cos I got it cheap as a used item - that was my deciding factor. Never used a Scopac so cannot comment. The Scopac looks like a "variation on a theme".

Hi,

I am actually using a german product called mulipack - they are all quite similar in their main function of allowing you to carry your tripod and scope like a backpack.

The differences lie in the size of the pockets and the scopac variations tout to be able be used with the tripod legs splayed - although I'm not really sure what use is that with a spotting scope - but for a camera, it might be useful.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

I am actually using a german product called mulipack - they are all quite similar in their main function of allowing you to carry your tripod and scope like a backpack.

The differences lie in the size of the pockets and the scopac variations tout to be able be used with the tripod legs splayed - although I'm not really sure what use is that with a spotting scope - but for a camera, it might be useful.

Joachim

Seems an interesting design, zippered pockets and high grade materials.
For those who read German: https://orniwelt.de/ausruestung/tra...cke-tragegurte/358/mulipack-stativtragesystem

Every time I see big gear like this, I'm grateful to Nikon for my little ED50.
But I have to admit, if you're willing to go the big glass route, a decent backpack option like this should be considered a priority.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back