• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus Tough TG4 (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

I bought this little camera used from LCE last year .. I have found the microscope mode combined with the focus stacking to be a nice feature especially to get shots of the tiny insects that sit on fences. The versions of the camera with focus stacking are the TG4, TG5 & TG6 I think. I suspect that a lot of people see the Olympus Tough series as novelties and for people who go diving rather than for serious use. I have never used the camera in that situation but I have found it easier to use than the focus stacking with the M4/3 cameras and lense combos that have this feature.

That sounds like an interesting feature, a camera that could be tucked in the pocket when out for a walk with decent macro capabilities is always a tempting idea. Any chance of some example shots? Not sure that I should be ordering another camera during lockdown, but maybe...

A few examples of photo stacking macro on TG-4

Device that diverts flash to ring around lens quite important. Not convinced that I need to upgrade. The blade and shoulder of the key excluding the head is 25mm. Width of phone key appx 10 mm. Width of extremely ancient (in its mid teens) G.R. bitch never measured!

Attachments

• P6100003x.jpg
    P6100003x.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 48
  • P6100004x.jpg
    P6100004x.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P6100005x.jpg
    P6100005x.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P6100006x.jpg
    P6100006x.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
A 'wildlife' example

It is easy to use and gets enough apparent dof to make quite a difference.

Problems, the usual, a tripod is essential for extreme macros, any wind on leaves, petals etc. that causes movement is extremely bad news.

Attachments

• P6100013x.jpg
    P6100013x.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 51
  • P6100014x.jpg
    P6100014x.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 45
They are superb little cameras, I have the TG4 which is now about 4 years old. The number of features they have for the money is amazing, the stacked micro just one of them( you need a mini tripod to use it properly.) They are 100% waterproof, shockproof so tough they really are. Not many cameras of their sort shoot in RAW as well as jpeg so that's an advantage too. They don't have a particularly big zoom and I tend to use mine as a landscape or handy video camera although I have to admit since I got hold of an improved mobile I usually use that now more than the TG4.

After advice from members of the pan=species listing FB group, who raved about its macro abilities, I have invested in one. Presently 10% off with a code, given on the site, and they make a donation to child charities in Africa, through Olympus's website.

After advice from members of the pan=species listing FB group, who raved about its macro abilities, I have invested in one. Presently 10% off with a code, given on the site, and they make a donation to child charities in Africa, through Olympus's website.
Now it's nearly a year on - how are you finding this camera, Steve? I'm looking to carry something small and waterproof for photos of smallish things (groundhoppers, shieldbugs, ladybirds) which I come across when I'm not carrying my DSLR and macro lens and wondered if it would work well for them.

Thanks

T
Now it's nearly a year on - how are you finding this camera, Steve? I'm looking to carry something small and waterproof for photos of smallish things (groundhoppers, shieldbugs, ladybirds) which I come across when I'm not carrying my DSLR and macro lens and wondered if it would work well for them.

Thanks
That's exactly what I use it for. I carry it all the time when out. With very small stuff it is better than a macro lens. Three people I know have bought one on my recommendation. Nobody has told me that they regret it.

Attachments

• ruby-tailed wasp.jpg
    ruby-tailed wasp.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Constantly amazed how well the LG-1 Light Guide works, though not on constantly in my case. Still happy with my TG-4..... These things are tough!
(Not to be confused with the similar looking FD-1 that works a bit differently: diffusing the much more powerful flash as opposed to the LED - I prefer the simpler LG-1 that Steve uses, it tends to be more even and predictable, but both have their uses. I have used focus stacking with the LG-1, not sure how well it would work with the FD-1 (if at all), as clearly the LED provides continuous light ideal for focus stacking shooting. The focus stacking shots earlier in this thread were shot using the LG-1 - the dogs nose shot in near darkness. The attached video link is quite helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks iveljay and Steve. Ordered a TG-6 and LG-1 which is arriving later today so hopefully out in the field tomorrow trying it out.

First outing today - a sunny interval morning. I had forgotten what it was like to put my hands into stinging nettles but was rewarded with a White-shouldered Shieldbug. TG6_000030.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back