• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife in one day (1 Viewer)

bobf

A variation on: where can I find the pigeons? I will be in Santa Cruz one day on a transatlantic cruise, about 8AM-5PM, with a hire car, Apr 11. I welcome suggestions on a best strategy. Top targets are pigeons and chaffinch, but all endemics are welcome. (Its pretty tough to find bird-finding guides for Canaries in U.S. and its just one day, so suggestions like see pp44-45 of xxx don't help me much)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

A variation on: where can I find the pigeons? I will be in Santa Cruz one day on a transatlantic cruise, about 8AM-5PM, with a hire car, Apr 11. I welcome suggestions on a best strategy. Top targets are pigeons and chaffinch, but all endemics are welcome. (Its pretty tough to find bird-finding guides for Canaries in U.S. and its just one day, so suggestions like see pp44-45 of xxx don't help me much)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

There is (or was) a Laurel Pigeon site viewable from by a main road on the north coast - Mirador Lagrimona or similar (I can check). When I was there Bolle's Pigeons showed really well around Erjos Ponds without needing to go into the neighbouring laurel forests, but I am not sure if that is typical.

With just one day to play with the pigeons are probably the endemics which are most likely to lead you a merry dance of no sightings or brief views. My priority in the scenario you describe would be to get to La Lajas for Blue Chaffinch. You should get CI Chiffchaff, CI Kinglet, Canary and endemic races such as GS Woodpecker without too much trouble.

Stephen

If arriving at Sta Cruz port the nearest pigeon area is the Anaga, an area of prisitine laurel forest on the eastern end of the island. A few hours spent around here, particularly where you have views across a wide sweep of canopy, should yield both pigeons. You are unlikley to get more than fleeting glimpses however! Pico del Ingles has great views across the canopy but can be busy with tourists - best bet is to go straight there as soon as you can. These woodlands will also give you goldcrest, common chaffinch, blue tit, blackbird, blackcap etc. From memory there are several pic-nic type spots in Anaga so you could try any of these if the crowds get too much.

As stated earlier, the easiest spot by far for Blue chaffinch is Las Lajas but this is at the opposite end of the island - a hefty drive but doable in the time you have. You could also try La Caldera on the nothern side of Teide - this site has both Chaffinches together, the only spot to do so.

At Las Lajas, just look around the picnic benches and taps - you will se groups of BC easily alongside Canary, Great Spotted woodpecker, Blue tit and Rock dove.

Other endemics should be picked up on route - Plain swifts will be evident as will Berthelot's pipit and Canary.

If driving from Anaga to Las Lajas, best route is probably round the motorway on the south and then up via Vilaflor. You could then continue up past Teide through the high-altitude scenery and then back round to Sta Cruz. If you have time, La Laguna has both Canary and Serin.

If you have more time, the agricultural fields surrounding Los Rodeos airport are excellent for a range of species - Sardinian warbler, Quail, hirundines, finches and raptors - always the chance of migrants in April.

As stated earlier, the easiest spot by far for Blue chaffinch is Las Lajas but this is at the opposite end of the island - a hefty drive but doable in the time you have. You could also try La Caldera on the nothern side of Teide - this site has both Chaffinches together, the only spot to do so.

Is La Caldera a picnic area somewhere near Aguamansa with the car parking around a 'bowl' in which there is a visitor centre and amenities? I saw Blue Chaffinch and Chaffinch side by side so I assume that was at La Caldera?

Stephen

Thanks to all for the tips.

The plan we ended up with:

Picked up hire care from Hertz when they opened at 9:00. Good thing we were first in line as the process was slow.
Drove to Mirador Lagrimona. We had flying Laurel's within a half hour, but spent an additional half hour waiting (successfully) for a scopeable perched bird.
We then drove up Mt Tiede (up to within a few K of the lift) getting Canary, Pipit, Chiffchaff, Kinglet, Plain Swift, Blue Tit. A stop at some pine woods on the way down finally gave us a pair of Blue Chaffinches.
We then grabbed a quick lunch and drove to a place called Chanajiga (thanks to Nick Littlewood for directions) to try for Bolle's. Unfortunately we only had about a half hour here before we felt we had to leave for our ship (probably could have squeezed in another half hour) and found no pigeons. But 8 out of 9 potential ticks was plenty acceptable. Thanks again for the tips,

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back