• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which are your most common birds? (1 Viewer)

From my apartment I can usually only see Jackdaws and Rooks, and the occasional Fieldfare. Biking to uni the most common species are probably Greenfinch, Nuthatch, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Blackbird and Tree Sparrow. Great and Blue Tits are also pretty much everywhere. Those are the ones that can be seen almost all year round (except for the Starlings and Wood Pigeons). In summer there's many more, such as Swifts, House Martins, Willow Warblers and White Wagtails. There's quite a lot of birds in the city actually! :)

Wow, a thread comes back to life after six years!!!

Here in Siem Reap, Cambodia the 10 most common (more or less in order of abundance and only in the city):

Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Common Mynah
Yellow-vented Bulbul
Streak-eared Bulbul
Spotted Dove
Peaceful Dove
Asian Barred Owlet
Palm Swift
Black Drongo (October - April)
House Sparrow (Airport)

Here in Quito, Ecuador the most common birds are:

Great Thrush
Rufous-collared Sparrow
Sparkling Violetear
Black vulture
Eared Dove
Black-tailed Trainbearer (Actually saw a pair breeding on the sidewalk in downtown Quito last week.)

Northern Cardinal, House Sparrow, Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbird, Chipping Sparrow, European Starling, Mourning Dove, Mallard, Canada Goose, Black-capped Chickadee, American Robin, American Goldfinch, Chimney Swift, Rock Pigeon

From my apartment in Gambia, currently (wet season) in order of frequency it's something like

Pied Crow
Hooded Vulture
African Little Swift
Common Bulbul
Grey-headed Sparrow
Western Grey Plantain-eater
African Palm Swift
Grey-headed Gull

Probably 30+ are guaranteed every day species.

The one's I'd say I'm pretty much 100% guaranteed on my patch are...

Woodpigeon
Magpie
Jackdaw
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Blackbird
Robin
Mallard
Wren
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Collared Dove
Moorhen
Coot

I read somewhere that the most abundant bird in PA is actually ovenbird...

In suburban Allentown where I live it seems to be cardinal, house sparrow, blue jay, robin, MoDo, BC chickadee, goldfinch, American crow, starling.

If I travel 1/2 mile to the nearby park, I add titmouse, nuthatch, downy and red-bellied woodpecker. Plus junco and white-throated sparrow in winter, or pewee, red-eyed vireo and wood thrush in summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back