• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice on new binoculars (1 Viewer)

Hello

I also posted this in the Australia forum but am adding it in here to try and broaden the net a bit.

I need a new pair of binoculars. My old ones have snapped. I don't have a lot of cash to spend - $AU200 to $AU300.

Initially I was going to go for a pair of Bushnell H20 8x42 waterproofs.

Then I googled around and saw that a few people prefer the Nikon Sporter 8x36 (is it only 8x42 now?).

And from the Sporter I discovered that I simply must upgrade to a Nikon Monarch 8x42... which is a bit costlier.

So, by now I am thoroughly confused. I only want these for general birding - in the bush, rainforest, and sometimes out on the sea/creek in the kayak.

My old binos were Celestron Outlands 10x42 which I really liked -until they died on me.

Anyone got any opinions on what I should be going for?

Cheers

Ben

You will probably find that Nikons will give you the most choices and maybe the most dealers there down under. Here is a list of all their current models listed top to bottom by quality and price(from ridiculously expensive down to very reasonable.) You will have to do some research on which ones you will find suitable. Most of the porro prism binoculars won't be water proof. The ATB's (all terrain binoculars) are rugged, water proof and reasonably priced.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/spec.htm#edg

Bob

Hi Ben,
before you make a decision try to go with other birders, some of whom will be using bins in your price range. Try them out. Do not rely on going into a shop, focusing on a box and saying they will do--you could end up very disappointed.

good luck,

Tiger1

I second the Nikon's opinion. A friend and I both have a pair, they are selling well because of a good reputation.
I bought mine in a birding store, and focused on a box. I consider myself lucky and indebted to an honorable shopkeeper.

Hello Ben,

I went birding with a couple from Queensland a few weeks ago. The lady had Bushnell Natureview Binoculars which cost her $300. The view through them was amazing and good focus very easy to get. Would be worth checking out.

Mike

Thanks everyone for the input. In the end I went for a pair of the Monarchs. They arrived yesterday and I'm really happy with them. Easy to focus with a bright, sharp image. Should be able to take them into the bush for a proper hit-out in the next few days.

Ben

Update: The binoculars are great. Sharper than the old ones and easier to focus. I've had them out and about in Brisbane Forest Park the last two days and spotted Jacanas, Purple Swamp-Hens, Striated Pardalote, Intermediate Egret, to name a few, as well as lorikeet-watching duties in the front yard. Very happy with them.

Hi Ben, Welcome to BF, also Tiger 1 and carjug. I am glad you like the Monarch, my brother has a 8x42 Monarch and dropped it out of a tree stand, still using it.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back