• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wisconsin/Minnesota 20.-24.7.2019 (1 Viewer)

To top up the birdlist a bit, I did two small trips around Madison. On Sunday I walked though the Arboretum for some 12 kms - even though I started at 6 am, I almost died of heat, it was not the greatest day, but it brought a plenty of Grey Catbirds, an Eastern Wood-Pewee (to my surprise that there are two of those) and a scary Empridonax flycatcher, with which I have to bless the ID forum once again.

Today we went to Cherokee Marsh with a colleague who happened to have a car which had to be returned only at 10 am. The weather was much more pleasant after a morning rain, which also the birds seemed to appreciate and the area was quite lively, producing Field Sparrows and a Chimney Swift - to great entertainment of my friend, who had lived in the US for a few years and thus couldn't wrap his head around me not having these "common" birds. We also met an interesting congregation of warblers, but we are still arguing as to whether those were juvenile Yellow (boring) or Mourning (not boring!).

I must admit that without my wife, my consistency in making a trip list really suffers, especially regarding very common birds - I have for example a strong feeling I must have seen a Snowy Egret or a Cormorant or a Swan, but can't recall a specific sighting for those, so I won't be counting them. My incomplete birdlist is thus so far at 83, out of which 19 are lifers. Not the greatest trip ever, but considering the general deadness of many areas, it's actually surprising. I mean, it shouldn't be surprising, because it basically always is, but that kind of discussion is way too meta.

Opisska out.

You did pretty well considering it's the time of year I call the "catbird doldrums."

As to Snowy Egret, range maps show them as vagrants to Minnesota and northern Wisconsin. Some maps show them as migrants in southern Wisconsin, but some maps don't. DC Cormorant might be a little more likely, especially in western Minn. but I don't think you got there. If you saw one it was probably around Madison.

Interestingly I counted seventeen species that I've seen in Britain - and a few more that have turned up here but not seen by me - seems a long way to go for stuff you could add to your WP list with a few autumn holidays here :t:

Good report, enjoyable read!

John

Interestingly I counted seventeen species that I've seen in Britain - and a few more that have turned up here but not seen by me - seems a long way to go for stuff you could add to your WP list with a few autumn holidays here :t:

Good report, enjoyable read!

John

'Did you ever hear the tragedy of Opisska and the Grey Catbird in Cornwall? I thought not. It's not a story the birders would tell you. It's a twitcher legend ...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back