• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Dave J further updates from the Moors Pool:

2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Little Ringed Plover, Gadwall, 18 Swift, probable adult Yellow-legged Gull on the water briefly (missed it fly off)

just a few pics from Saturday evening.

1.opportunity to remark the water level?
2 Massive house martin seen between aerials.
3 2 LRP.
4 tog photo.
5 had a Badger trot in front of the west hide on Friday evening and had this fella in front of the east hide yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_7035.JPG
    IMG_7035.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7043 (2).JPG
    IMG_7043 (2).JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7049 (2).JPG
    IMG_7049 (2).JPG
    525.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7060 (2).JPG
    IMG_7060 (2).JPG
    697.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7061 (2).JPG
    IMG_7061 (2).JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 145
Mike W reported further from the reserve yesterday afternoon:-

Flashes - 12 Curlew, 25 Lapwing

Moors Pool - 1 GC Grebe chick, Treecreeper, 6+ Swift, 40+ House Martin, 2 Sand Martin, juvenile Robin and Bullfinch at North Moors, 1 juvenile Little Ringed Plover

Yes a Muntjac deer
There were 2 young in the same area Thursday going into the scrub to the right of the hide off and on from around 9.15am till 10.00am when I left the hide.
The one in the picture looks like an adult as it appears larger than the 2 on Thursday, I wonder if they're breeding close by.

Further update from Andy P at the Moors Pool:

Blackwit, 2 Snipe, 5 Green Sands, 3 Common Sands, 2 Lapwing, 8 Teal, 2 Shoveler, eclipse drake Wigeon, 3 Common Tern plus 2 chicks, Water Rail, Kingfisher. Also Muntjac in front of East hide.

FLASHES Work Party Tuesday 31st July

Tomorrow we will be having a short work party pulling Ragwort from a couple of areas around the 2nd flash. This is to prevent the cattle from eating it as it doesn't do them any good.
Need gloves and possibly wellies but definitely walking boots.
Plan to start at 9am..obviously if there are any passage waders then we will postpone the work.
:t:john
ps meet at Avocet hide cheers

Last edited:
Tomorrow we will be having a short work party pulling Ragwort from a couple of areas around the 2nd flash. This is to prevent the cattle from eating it as it doesn't do them any good.
Need gloves and possibly wellies but definitely walking boots.
Plan to start at 9am..obviously if there are any passage waders then we will postpone the work.
:t:john
The only waders I saw at the flashes this morning were 75 Lapwing. I did note that there were very few flies along the waters edge and wondered if this indicates very high levels of salinity with all the evaporation and why there are no other waders here?
At Manby Flashes near Louth Lincs last week water levels were very similar to here but had loads of waders including Wood Sand, 20 Green Sands, 64 Blackwits, 8 Ruff, 5 Avocet and plenty of flies on the mud, it's fresh water though (water levels can be topped up via a small pipe which is connected to an adjacent brook if the pool dries up), I mentioned this to a couple of people from the Worcs Trust today.

The only waders I saw at the flashes this morning were 75 Lapwing. I did note that there were very few flies along the waters edge and wondered if this indicates very high levels of salinity with all the evaporation and why there are no other waders here?
At Manby Flashes near Louth Lincs last week water levels were very similar to here but had loads of waders including Wood Sand, 20 Green Sands, 64 Blackwits, 8 Ruff, 5 Avocet and plenty of flies on the mud, it's fresh water though (water levels can be topped up via a small pipe which is connected to an adjacent brook if the pool dries up), I mentioned this to a couple of people from the Worcs Trust today.

The biggest factor probably being the geographical proximity of Manby flashes to the East coast - rather than anything else.

Even at the current low levels, I doubt that the salinity of Upton flashes is greater than that of seawater (c 35,000 ppm), based on previous measurements in drought conditions.

There was an invertebrates survey two weeks ago so hopefully we will know what's in the mud/water .:t:

2 Yellow-legged Gulls (juvenile and third summer) at the Moors Pool this afternoon as per Terry Hinett

2 Migrant Hawkers at the Moors Pool as per Andy P.

Phil W further reported from the Flashes this morning:

Just 4 Black-headed Gull, 75 Canada Geese and a Roe Deer in the harvested north field

The biggest factor probably being the geographical proximity of Manby flashes to the East coast - rather than anything else.

Even at the current low levels, I doubt that the salinity of Upton flashes is greater than that of seawater (c 35,000 ppm), based on previous measurements in drought conditions.
I was reading a paper by John Belsey? in the hide where I think it said that salinity can be 4 times higher than sea water at times of low water levels.

I also visited the Hen Brook hide which is very overgrown but did see a small brown mammal which looked too small for a Water Vole, so one of the smaller voles?

I was reading a paper by John Belsey? in the hide where I think it said that salinity can be 4 times higher than sea water at times of low water levels.

I also visited the Hen Brook hide which is very overgrown but did see a small brown mammal which looked too small for a Water Vole, so one of the smaller voles?

Probably a Bank Vole - they're common at Upton.

Very unlikely the salinity gets that high unless it completely dries out into tiny pools. When I measured it at very low water levels (below marker level of 0.25) it never got higher than 24,000 ppm - which is about 2/3 the salinity of seawater.

From the Moors Pool this morning JTB reports:

Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper 5, Common Sandpiper, Snipe, Little Grebe 13 adults + 4 or 5 juveniles, Teal 12, Wigeon, Shoveler at least 3, Tufted Duck minimum of 8 broods, Great Crested Grebe adult +chick.

From the Moors Pool this morning JTB reports:

Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper 5, Common Sandpiper, Snipe, Little Grebe 13 adults + 4 or 5 juveniles, Teal 12, Wigeon, Shoveler at least 3, Tufted Duck minimum of 8 broods, Great Crested Grebe adult +chick.
Pics of the Godwit and Hobby from today.:t::t:

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 46
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 64
I was reading a paper by John Belsey? in the hide where I think it said that salinity can be 4 times higher than sea water at8-P times of low water levels.

Must have been an old paper Geoff don't remember writing that8-P8-P;)

Coincidentally Geoff we are planning to clear in front of Hen Pool hide next Tuesday :t:
More details later

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back