• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benny the beluga: Whale still thriving in River Thames (1 Viewer)

I still can't decide if this is a good thing... I'm sure some idiots will cause it's death at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46255755

The point is simply that its a vagrant animal that is currently thriving, and there isn't anything to be done. Not only that, but it isn't a human responsibility to do anything! Its neither good nor bad - it just is....

I have half an idea that it might winter, and then feel the urge to migrate northwards, but that's just me.

If its still around beyond December 31 I will probably go and get it on a second year list. I might go before that in the hope of getting a proper head shot (with the camera!), if there's nothing else to do.

John

In the UK at the moment so would be great to see it, where is it being seen at the moment?

Cheers

Alan

If its still using the same areas, your best bet is to stake it out at Poundland in Gravesend (this is not a joke!)

Park in the Imperial Retail Park North of Thames Way, off a roundabout, (the post code of the Asda that is by the entrance is DA11 0DQ). Walk to the North East corner of the car park and up to the paved walk overlooking the Thames. Just to your right is a short pier and a mooring buoy, and when I saw it a month ago it was often near that buoy: but it can be anywhere in that stretch of river. NB Parking is pay and display!

If it isn't there it can sometimes be found down river (you'll need to drive) from the sea wall stretching East towards Cliffe from Mark Lane - The Ship and Lobster pub is NOT the place to park, strictly customers only, you'll need to fit in along the lane somewhere. Post code for the pub is DA12 2QB. Once parked, follow the lane out to the sea wall and head East. The beluga was often either near a green buoy towards the North Bank or around moored barges nearer the South bank, both things being beyond about three or four piers/jetties.

Talk to the locals, they've been very interested in and protective towards the Beluga and may have up-to-date gen.

Good hunting!

John

Presume there will have been active birders in the area, so would have been picked up unless it's moved to an inaccesible area??

I guess so. It was fairly mobile though, using quite a length of the river. You could be on it and it would vanish and the next thing you know there's a message about it being a mile or more away. So I would be surprised if it got into one difficult place and stayed there.

I don't know what the source of RBA's gen is: the Beluga was being monitored by hydrophone so it may really have gone. Without wanting anyone to dip, I kind of hope it has, and finds its way back North.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back