• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt, Nile : Heron/Stork/Ibis (1 Viewer)

Only got a distant glimpse of these two dark birds from the boat. Grey Heron and Little Egret for size comparison, second picture is cropped first obviously, thanks
Jim.

Attachments

• Egypt 2013 361v1.jpg
    Egypt 2013 361v1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Egypt 2013 361v2.jpg
    Egypt 2013 361v2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,243
In the crop, the bill looks more like openbill, but Glossy Ibis must be much more likely (Opus has the range for openbill as S of Sahara). Everything else to my mind fits the ibis, except something that might be an artefact of distance/enlargement?

Niels

shape-wise I'm thinking African Openbill. Don't know if this is likely though, and maybe they're a bit small?

I believe Egypt would be significantly out of range, but not sure what else they might be. Slightly smaller than Gray Heron, so size looks ok to me. No actual experience with the species though.

Jim

In the crop, the bill looks more like openbill, but Glossy Ibis must be much more likely (Opus has the range for openbill as S of Sahara). Everything else to my mind fits the ibis, except something that might be an artefact of distance/enlargement?

Niels

Definitely not Glossy Ibis. They have a slender decurved bill, and slender head and neck. These birds have thick bills, heads, and necks. The ibis would be much smaller than the heron.

Best,
Jim

shape is absolutely african openbill! where in egypt have these been photographed??? it might be a remarkable find. but i really don't know much about occurence of african birds...

That both bills should look as thick and heavy as they do tempts me to think that it's not an artifact, the bill on the right hand bird looks very similar to an adult while the left could easily be a juvenile, the legs look rather too long and they seem larger than the Little Egret. Discounting the 'grey neck' on the right hand bird ( Glossy Ibis only develop a greyish neck in winter plumage ) as an artifact I can't honestly see what else they could be. African Openbill. They do range as far north as halfway up Sudan and it's not impossible to imagine a couple of birds following the Nile north.

Chris

The ibis would be much smaller than the heron.

Best,
Jim

I am limited to info from the net right now, but I find sizes as:
Openbill 60 cm
Ibis 55-65 cm
Little egret 55-65 cm

So no difference size wise between the two contenders. The relative length to the little egret fits quite well with these measurements

African Openbill will more often stand with its body at a 45 dg angle to the water while these have their bodies paralel to the water more or less.

I also realize that Openbill is apt to wander, I have seen it in South Africa where it would be a rare guest.

I also agree that it seems the shape indicates openbill -- I am throwing the question out there if that could be caused by photo artifacts.

Niels

I am limited to info from the net right now, but I find sizes as:
Openbill 60 cm
Ibis 55-65 cm
Little egret 55-65 cm

Birds of Southern Africa, fourth ed. 2011, lists Openbill at 74-90cm. In any event, it's clearly not a Glossy Ibis imo. Don't think photo artefacts could give the appearance of a massive, mostly straight lower mandible.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
2009 there has been observed one on crocodile island near luxor, but this is not too far from that. surely should be reported - i'm quite sure these are openbills.

Not much help this but here's the other shot I got, most annoying as pictures before and after are in focus.

Attachments

• Egypt 2013 362.jpg
    Egypt 2013 362.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 279
They are African Openbill's. but somewhat out of range, but I'm sure it has been recorded in Egypt as an accidental (I can't find a record in Sandgrouse, so my memory might be letting me down again!).

They are African Openbill's. but somewhat out of range, but I'm sure it has been recorded in Egypt as an accidental (I can't find a record in Sandgrouse, so my memory might be letting me down again!).

Yes, great record and certainly ought to be a short note in Sandgrouse.

How many Western Palearctic birders have got that one on their WP lists?

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back