• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egypt, Nile : Heron/Stork/Ibis (1 Viewer)

Hi Jim
Fantastic record and thank you for sharing. You already have one acceptance here for when you submit your sighting to the EORC (Egyptian Ornithological Rarities Committee). Please look at http://www.chn-france.org/eorc/ and we would be really grateful if you could submit this second record for the country! Well done indeed.

Could you please let me know the date you saw these birds (and a bit more detail on the exact location if possible) as I and some friends will be out there next month. Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks and congratulations
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/

Wow, this is really something for me, only been birwatching about three years, joined BF in 2011, and has been a great site in helping me along with ID's. (still some more to come but dont think they'll beat this ) I'll submit the record as mentioned above.
The photos were taken at 1518 local time, on the Nile, next photo of docking at Komombo was at 1553 so this is about 35 minutes cruising time North of Komombo, probably around 10-15km maybe, ( don't know cruising speed ), thanks everyone again

Jim.

Well done Jimmy. I did that trip in 2008 and was struck by the potential for something spectacular to be found in such a vast under watched area. I did manage a Goliath heron which I was more than happy with but the Storks are crackers.

I believe Egypt would be significantly out of range, but not sure what else they might be. Slightly smaller than Gray Heron, so size looks ok to me. No actual experience with the species though. Jim

African Openbill, Anastomus lamelligerus. One photographed 26 May 2009 Crocodile Island, Luxor, Egypt, Steffen 2010, 1st for WP; accepted Egypt Ornithological Rarities Committee 2011.

Steffen, B. 2010. African Openbill at Luxor, Egypt, in May 2009. Dutch Birding 32: 254-256.
MJB
PS GS&M?

Wow, this is really something for me, only been birwatching about three years, joined BF in 2011, and has been a great site in helping me along with ID's. (still some more to come but dont think they'll beat this ) I'll submit the record as mentioned above.
The photos were taken at 1518 local time, on the Nile, next photo of docking at Komombo was at 1553 so this is about 35 minutes cruising time North of Komombo, probably around 10-15km maybe, ( don't know cruising speed ), thanks everyone again

Jim.

Sorry all, date was 31st May 2013.

Jim

Congratulations for the great sighting ! It is the second record since Benjamin Steffen has recorded the first one for WP on 26 May 2009 at crocodile Island in Luxor. A Photo can be seen online on the database of Birding in Egypt Project:
http://www.birdinginegypt.com/#Observations

Please add your own record as well to this new database which is in progres to be updated with ALL historical reports from Egypt.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

Can hardly beleive this, was going through my holiday snaps, had seperated the birds from the scenery as it were and found another photo of these two while looking at the touristy pictures, so here they are, cropped and adjusted one best I could

Jim.

Attachments

• Egypt 2013 358.jpg
    Egypt 2013 358.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Egypt 2013 358v1.jpg
    Egypt 2013 358v1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back