• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Tern ID, Turkey (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Hey all,
Photographed this juvenile marsh tern in Ankara today. I'm thinking Whiskered but the long bill, dark upperwings and the fuller black cap are throwing me off. I've considered Black but the shoulder patch seems too weak and there is quite a bit of "saddle" on it. Looked slightly more uniform with the bins but there was still a bit contrast.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• ks.jpg
    ks.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 173
  • ks2.jpg
    ks2.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 186
Its nice also to see a Great Crested Grebe in kuzeycem's photo but please can anyone identify the other two birds on the photo (see attached)

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 89
Thanks all and sorry for the late reply. I think it'll go down as a Black with an unusal saddle to my books. The bill in 1st photo looks overgrown but I think it's actually due to a dark part of the wave coinciding with the bill tip making it look longer.

Hi,
the bird is, in fact, a juvenile Whiskered Tern.
The lack of a dark leading edge on upperwing separates it from Black Tern, as does the smaller and less distinct breast patch.
Note also the dark tips to all tail feathers, as well as the more coarsely patterned scapulars.
This also explains the rather long, heavy bill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back