• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Gulf Stream Pelagic birds between Bermuda and USA (1 Viewer)

stephennj

Here's three distant photos of birds photographed yesterday in the Atlantic Ocean Gulf Stream between Bermuda and New York , USA. They appear to be different birds, all behaving like Shearwaters from what I understand. They were flying just above the ocean's surface , all birds are flying left to right. One of my books says Cory, Sooty, Manx and Greater Shearwaters are highly likely birds at this time of year in the Gulf Stream. I have absolutely no experience with Pelagics so any help would be appreciated !!

I have touched up the photos with cropping and lighting only
Thanks !!

Attachments

• Gulf Stream1Pelagic.jpg
    Gulf Stream1Pelagic.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 304
  • Gulf Stream 2 Pelagic.jpg
    Gulf Stream 2 Pelagic.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Gulf Stream 3 Pelagic.jpg
    Gulf Stream 3 Pelagic.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 290
Difficult with these shots but 2 looks to be a Puffinus sp. so maybe a Manx, odd rear end? The 3 looks like a Northern Fulmar. Could be wrong..

Thanks JDJ and Rockfowl , my first thoughts were 1 and 3 are Cory's and #2 Greater Shearwater but there are all inexperienced guesses.

I couldn't rule out Great for 2, can't see enough detail on the underwing. No 3 shows a pale tail which rules out Cory's, which is black.

Last edited:
Not Fulmar at this time of year. Cory's was my first impression for #1 also. But tough to be sure on any of these.

Best,
Jim

No 2 does have a look of a Puffinus about it. I couldn't ID it from the photo alone, but if it looked like a Great at the time and was getting on for the size of the Cory's it may well be a Great. It seems to have a long rear end (Manx is quite short at the back compared to Great). Great is probably more likely on range (?).

Fulmar is a good call for No3 (written before I noticed your comment about range).

Last edited:
I do not see a clearly white tail; to my eyes, it could be a dark tail with some light reflecting off of it.

Best,
Jim

I would beg to differ Jim, though agree not white, pale with no hint of any black, even on the near edge ;)

Last edited:
#3 was not a Tern , definitely more like a shearwater ,(I think that was a lighting problem with the photo ) in fact I am quite sure about it being a Cory's myself now.
an interesting discussion and I am looking forward for more thanks guys !

another view of #2

another view of #2 , same photo but no sharpening on the photo at all.

Attachments

• Gulf Stream 2b.jpg
    Gulf Stream 2b.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 122
What about Brown Noddy for No 3?

I see brown noddy not infrequently, and I always get an impression of a longer tail from that species than from this image. In fact, first time I saw one, I thought "like a tern with a tail from a kestrel", which may be exaggerated, but not too bad.

Niels

another view of #2 , same photo but no sharpening on the photo at all.

I guess in that area you have the possibility for both Bermuda and Black-capped Petrels? I might be off base, but I dont feel I can exclude any of those.

Niels

Black-capped Petrel is good for the range. I wonder if the head is black enough , I will dig thru some online photos of that species .

Cory's, Great and Fulmar for me

100% 85% and 95% certainties

Not sure if you saw my note Jane, but thought I should iterate that Fulmar would be quite unusual in this area at this time of year. So I think not a bird that could be confirmed based on a photo such as this.

A recent trip from Baltimore to Bermuda, with some experienced pelagic birders on board, recorded the following species:

Black-capped Petrel
Bermuda Petrel
Cory's Shearwater
Greater Shearwater
Manx Shearwater
Audubon's Shearwater
Wilson's Storm-Petrel
Leach's Storm-Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Long-tailed Jaeger

By the way Steve, do you know the approximate locations where these were taken? Closer to New York or Bermuda?

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
I did consider a Gadfly Petrel for No 2. There is an initial 'jizz' feel of a Pterodroma about the bird when you first look at it, but if you enlarge it slightly the proportions suggest a Puffinus sp more likely and I'm edging toward Great. The underwing pattern of a Black-capped is also quite striking and I can't see any suggestion of the 'broken-W' pattern I would have expected despite the quality of image. I would also expect the cap to appear even with shadow, capped contrasting with a white neck collar.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/633585757_d260ebf63f.jpg?v=0

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back