• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's with this grey bird? (1 Viewer)

Sonecrocket

I don't have picture of this grey bird but it looks similar to a young Grackle only it is smaller. About the size of a cardinal. It is all grey with a darker shade on the wings and tail. It is often seen eating sunflower seeds out of my bird feeder. I have a Birds of North America but can't find it in there either. It is similar in color to a grey catbird. Any ideas?

I'm not great at IDs but you might try a Gray Catbird - depending where you are located.

I live near St Louis, US. I happen to catch sight of the catbird today. And the catbird was a little lighter grey than the other one I keep seeing. The catbird had a black crown on it while this other bird didn't have any unusual markings. I would say the bird I was looking at was a little more greyish brown with black bill and legs. I have seen it in my neighbors yard looking for bugs in the grass.

If it's eating seeds out of the feeder, it probably isn't a catbird. Try a young starling or cowbird?

It had a long longer bill like a grackle. Its color was a lot like a juvenille starling but I believe its tail was longer than the pictures I seen of one.

Sorry about the Catbird, I'm not familiar with them and did not realize they weren't seed eaters.

A northern mocking bird has very distinguished white patches on the wings when the bird is in flight and has a black mask like patch along its eyes so I am pretty sure it is not one of those either. I am going to have to try and capture it in a picture and post that. I looked around some more and haven't found anything that really comes close. I don't know how better to describe it. it's head feathers are like a lighter grayish brown like a cowbird. Unlike the cowbird which has a more black colored breat and wings this bird has a shade darker grayish brown than its head color. No stripes nor speckles nor anything like that on its body or wings. The wings seem to be a shade darker close to charcoal gray as well as the tail. It has a black bill with black legs. I'll have to try to grab a picture if it and post that. Then I'm sure it could be identified then.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back