• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help Please AZ (1 Viewer)

cassowary

This bird has stumped me.

Obviously formerly a falconers bird so could come from anywhere.

Attachments

• 2679361069_961eb889ca.jpg
    2679361069_961eb889ca.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 274
It's ferruginous like (dark morph) with the long gape, the rufous colour, the white crescent, but.....the legs are not feathered. Red-tail should have a dark leading edge. Perhaps not from NA.

Scott

I agree that Redtail is is the nearest US bird - I have seen thousands but not one in this morph if that is what it is. It may be just the angle but the birds head also just looks too powerful??

Could it be a buzzard? I agree it looks Red-tail ish and I know they look close to each other. My guess is either of those two but leaning more towards a RTH morph

The image has a strangely cartoon-like quality; or is that just my PC?

It's not just your PC, it looks very odd on my laptop as well.

I've no idea what the bird is, but the image looks like it's been doctored in some way. Maybe the bird superimposed onto the background?

Definitely a manipulated image look where the sun is setting and the light on the underwing in the front of the picture this section by rights should be in shadow also given that its a bird used for Falconry its could well be a heinz 57 variety

A bird that is not quite a redtail, that got me thinking about a longshot: rufous-tailed hawk from SA? there is only one image in the gallery, and it does not really look right, but I am still throwing it out there for consideration?

Niels

A bird that is not quite a redtail, that got me thinking about a longshot: rufous-tailed hawk from SA? there is only one image in the gallery, and it does not really look right, but I am still throwing it out there for consideration?

Niels

Any particular reason it is not a long-legged buzzard, as I suggested above? Not an expert on Eurasian raptors, so I would appreciate comments from the “old world” folks.

Best,
Jim

Any particular reason it is not a long-legged buzzard, as I suggested above? Not an expert on Eurasian raptors, so I would appreciate comments from the “old world” folks.

Best,
Jim

I thought some sort of buzzard as well so I am with Jim on that. I do agree too that when I first opened it I thought it was computer generated as the picture does look "created" instead of "taken"

I don't have any details on the editing of the photo. It was taken by a friend of mine. He tells me it wasn't superimposed and doesn't remember doing any major manipulation.

Could it be effects of a strong flash?

I remember reading an interview with a nature photographer who complained about his most famous image always being critiziced for manipulation when the explanation was the one given above.

Niels

Best,
Jim

hi jim,

the rufous underparts, especially wing coverts, together with apparently uniform pale tail indeed give the impression of a LLB.
but what's totally wrong for LBB is the dark reddish head/neck, especially having even a darker shawl - rufinus , though very variable, usually has a much paler neck and head than the rest of the body, sometimes in rufous morphs less so - but the dark shawl is really wrong. of course this is a 1cy or 2cy bird and i'm not totally aware of the whole range of variation in more eastern birds. i also asked myself if it could be an upland buzzard which is very similar to LLB.

regards,

I might help if we knew where the photo was taken. There is an AZ in the title. On this side of the pond AZ stands for Arizona.

When I first saw the photo I thought it was a falconer's "hybrid" bird, although I do not know what birds might be involved here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back