• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (5 Viewers)

Hi everyone last night i went to Brockholes quarry and i saw 1 black tailed godwit, alot of lapwing, 7 l b b gull, 3 b h gull, 1 kestrel, swifts, sand martins, swallows, 2 heron, 4 pied wagtail, 1 hare, 2 common sandpiper, coot, mute swans, 1 g b b gull and 1 teal. I forgot a bird in crete that is a lifer, 3 White storks over the hotel.

anyone know what these are? ( i know they B flies;) )

Attachments

• 2009_0421TURBOLISTER0005.JPG
    2009_0421TURBOLISTER0005.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 2009_0421TURBOLISTER0008.JPG
    2009_0421TURBOLISTER0008.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 52
First one is the underside of a Comma butterfly, second is a Red Admiral. (Got a handy butterfly book with 200 plates)
Good days Birding today with these lifers:
Mistle Thrush
Hen Harrier
Willow Warbler
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Red Kite

and an unidentified duck that looked like a female Teal but instead of a green feather it was purple. Mistle Thrush and Hen Harrier at Loch of Skene which was a bit too boggy today the rest at the LNR Den of Maidencraig (great place, first time I've been)

Yes, I also got my parents to put a lottery on because I seen them all with minimum effort, it's my lucky day! There were even several baby rabbits feeding by the road and next to them was a Pheasant (another lifer)!

Last edited:
Well here I am in sunny Dorset for a week. I'm currently staying in a cottage in Lulworth, right next to the coast, where I can seawatch after 10 minutes' walk!

Birds thus far after a couple of hours of birding/swimming include peregrine off the cliffs, and families of whitethroat and stonechat in the inland scrubby areas. Some acrocephalus-sy type thing disappeared into a bush before I could get a real luck at it.

Hopefully I'll soon be getting to places like Durlston head, Brownsea island etc. (with Brownsea island being a strong possibility if it pisses it down tomorrow. Roseate terns with chicks I think!!!)

I'll keep you all posted.

young birder

my suggestion is to join up with some birding groups in your area.

you can learn a lot from people that have been birding longer than you.

and if they have a mode of transportation that you don't at your age all the better right.

you can cover more terrain that way just make sure your parents approve first.

happy birding and good luck on achieving your goal!

Well here I am in sunny Dorset for a week. I'm currently staying in a cottage in Lulworth, right next to the coast, where I can seawatch after 10 minutes' walk!

Birds thus far after a couple of hours of birding/swimming include peregrine off the cliffs, and families of whitethroat and stonechat in the inland scrubby areas. Some acrocephalus-sy type thing disappeared into a bush before I could get a real luck at it.

Hopefully I'll soon be getting to places like Durlston head, Brownsea island etc. (with Brownsea island being a strong possibility if it pisses it down tomorrow. Roseate terns with chicks I think!!!)

I'll keep you all posted.

Welcome to the county mate, maybe i will bump into you;) i reccomend going to Radipole lake and Lodmoor to see the Cettis warbler and resident Marsh harriers ( first breeding pair in Dorset in 50 years! ):king:

I know that the point of a year list is to get the most birds as possible but if I could go without seeing a Larus genus Gull just for one measly year I would be happy. But it's Aberdeen which would mean that I would have to make myself blind or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back