• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

I am under the understanding that the trusts don't just cater for birds and birdwatchers, rightly so as biodiversity is key to "bringing the birds in". A bird will choose a habitat where the food supply is plentiful.

However in this case the trust doesn't seem to care less about Cresswell Pond, however I did hear that some species of rare newt has found the pond to its liking and if waters levels were lowered could this effect the species? Just a question to those in the know, haven't got a clue about newts.
I don't think there are any newts to worry about. Your post is the first I'd heard of anything of the sort. There are lots of red herrings, though.

The pond is a designated SSSI because it's a brackish lagoon (that's why flounders live in it).

Back to Nature

East Chevington this morning.

The north pool looks ideal for throwing balls into for your dogs to retrieve.

(The warden had a word with them)

Attachments

• Dog-Walkers-(6)-copy.jpg
    Dog-Walkers-(6)-copy.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 138
IMO Church is the best because it's usually better populated by birders as it is nearer a car park and has that 'bijou residence' that adds that touch of luxury. :-O

More birders = more pairs of eyes and more expertise = better results too.

Beacon is a walk, no shelter and so is less attractive.

Snab has a car park, a seat (there's that luxury aspect again :t:) and to its and Beacon Point's credit, it is raised (as Whitburn is) and so gives better views over the waves as opposed to Church where you often have to look 'through' them, so to speak.

Thanks for the advice. All I need to do now is hit the right day!

So has the Bluethroat been present there for about 6 weeks? Has anyone seen it during that time or just when its been trapped?

just to add a bit of fan fiction to the story....

-Trapped
-Ringed
-Photographed
-Suppressed
...migrated
...got the brush off from the lasses
..migrated
-Trapped again
-Photographed again
-News released

version 2

-Trapped
-Ringed
-Photographed
-Suppressed
...held territory @ chev
...failed to find any lasses
-Trapped again
-Photographed again
-News released

version 2 might explain the suppression...or just blame it on the personalities involved....not that i know who they are ofcourse....

Much more likely that it arrived in spring, and wasn't found. Then either hung around quite lonely or settled down with a female and bred. Stayed put into July as it was moulting, when it found itself tangled up in a mist net. No migratory urges, so stayed put through August. Probably headed off south by now.
Whether it was the right decision to suppress depends on where the bird was on the reserve. Having heard about the idiots regularly tape-luring the Welney Bluethroat during its extended stay (when the bird was easily visible with patience), would you take the risk of ending up with a reedbed full of brain-dead birders splashing about with MP3 players?

Having heard about the idiots regularly tape-luring the Welney Bluethroat during its extended stay (when the bird was easily visible with patience), would you take the risk of ending up with a reedbed full of brain-dead birders splashing about with MP3 players?

Nope! ;) Welfare of the bird has to come first.

Wow! Bluethroat! Brill!

But, as someone who did not have his copy of Now That What I Call Bluethroat at Welney in June, and did not see the bird there, and as someone who has never seen one and would love too, especially on home turf, has it been seen again since the re-release and where was it trapped?

Surely every reasonable bird cannot be suppressed in the event that there may be one or two birders with misplaced tactics. Surely it's upto those with ethics to 'police' those who do not otherwise we would never get to see anything 'rare'.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back