• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

I didn't get the best angle to be honest as it was flying more or less South as I was going North and it was dropping below the level of the bushes by the time we were level and it was adjusting its posture for landing... I know that would have been a clincher if it had outstretched neck in level flight.

The posture didn't quite "feel" right for the heron which was made me look twice in the first instance.

There has been a Common Crane seen on and off in the Budle Bay area for a while now. So it is possible.

Jack & Duke

Where's Duke's Pond at Rising Sun CP, please?

Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?

Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?[/QUOTE]

No.

Walk past the visitor centre along the hedged pathway which has Swallow Pond to the right of it. On the left of that pathway there is an opening in the hedge on the left and this is where Dukes Pond is. I'm pretty sure of that, but in any case staff at the centre would point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?

No. To the point. Thanks. :-O

Walk past the visitor centre along the hedged pathway which has Swallow Pond to the right of it. On the left of that pathway there is an opening in the hedge on the left and this is where Dukes Pond is. I'm pretty sure of that, but in any case staff at the centre would point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Great. Thanks again :t: [/QUOTE]

Now to find the Jack Snipe!

No. To the point. Thanks. :-O

Cheers

Great. Thanks again :t:

Now to find the Jack Snipe![/QUOTE]

I may well see you there, and this time may even recognise you.;)

Why not go to Cresswell? There was one in front of the hide this morning.

Keeping my options open for the Great Jack Snipe Hunt Fri/Sat/Sun. Great photo, never seen one on the ground before. There were two there pm Sunday but I was trying to photograph Little Egrets at Blyth (and not too well, I might add - see blog and any hints/tips gratefully accepted btw :t:).

Keeping my options open for the Great Jack Snipe Hunt Fri/Sat/Sun. Great photo, never seen one on the ground before. There were two there pm Sunday but I was trying to photograph Little Egrets at Blyth (and not too well, I might add - see blog and any hints/tips gratefully accepted btw :t:).

Photograph them on a dull day. :-O

Jack Snipe showing very well at Cresswell this afternoon. Absolutely superb - but why does a bird so well camouflaged 'give itself away' by bobbing almost constantly?

Attachments

• Jack Snipe 2.JPG
    Jack Snipe 2.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 106
Jack Snipe showing very well at Cresswell this afternoon. Absolutely superb - but why does a bird so well camouflaged 'give itself away' by bobbing almost constantly?

Maybe something to do with helping visual depth perception of predators and judging the distortion of the refraction and reflection at the surface of the water.

Maybe something to do with helping visual depth perception of predators and judging the distortion of the refraction and reflection at the surface of the water.

Interesting... that ties in closely with my theory as to why dippers dip... that differing perspectives afforded by alternating head positions helps calculate position of things under the surface of water seen from above to help combat the problem of refraction. However... do Jack Snipe need this technique if they feed of earthworms and insects in mud rather than prey from underwater?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back