• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Robin? (1 Viewer)

VickityV

For the last few days I have seen an unusual bird at my bird feeder and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointers - I am a novice, but I'm learning.
It is similar to our resident european robin, but perhaps a little skinnier. It has a full red breast, but the brown feathers are much darker, almost black and there are no lighter feathers under the breast as with the european robin. If I didn't know better I would say it was an american robin but was far too small to be that. I haven't been able to get a photo of it yet as I haven't been quick enough... and I've looked through my bird book and the only thing I can find which is remotely similar is the stonechat, but I'm not convinced about that either. Any ideas? I will of course post a photo if I am successful in getting one x

Hi Vicky and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum as they are better placed to help you. I also subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily, but simply clicking on the link in the email you will receive with any replies.

If you do manage to get a picture and need any help in uploading it, please don't be afraid to ask.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi VickityV,

Your description of "full red breast" made me think Bullfinch or Redstart. Both have black colouration along with light grey. The Redstart is likely the skinnier option. What do you think?

Hi VickityV,

Your description of "full red breast" made me think Bullfinch or Redstart. Both have black colouration along with light grey. The Redstart is likely the skinnier option. What do you think?

Thank you for your response. It's possible, but I don't remember seeing any white, grey or light patches on this bird - Common Redstart appears to have a paler head, which this bird definitely didn't - Bullfinch again appears to have a grey back and paler colour under the breast which again doesn't seem to fit. It's a puzzle - I will definitely try and get a photo when it returns.

It might get be useful to note how it behaves too. Does it hop on the ground? Does it cling to bags of nuts? Does it shiver it's tail when it lands? That kind of thing. As well as the shape of it's bill, colour of it's bill and legs etc. Basically as much detail as you can note. Hope it comes back!

Is it possible that this is just a melanistic robin?

I was wondering that. They seem rarer than paler leucistic birds (eg googlig I didn't see any images of darker birds), generally speaking tho.

Guess we'll find out if there's a photo ...

... even a poor photo may help.

Last edited:
Hi again Vickity,

Melanism is basically a bird showing much darker plumage than is the norm - you can read more about this in our Opus Dictionary HERE.

I hope this helps.

It might get be useful to note how it behaves too. Does it hop on the ground? Does it cling to bags of nuts? Does it shiver it's tail when it lands? That kind of thing. As well as the shape of it's bill, colour of it's bill and legs etc. Basically as much detail as you can note. Hope it comes back!

Hi Larry, thank you for your response. It behaves exactly like my pair of robins - I through at first it was a juvenile because it has appeared with my resident robins a few times but according to my book, it's completely wrong for a juvenile... (and the fact that my robins don't seem bothered by it's presence makes me think it's probably not a robin...?)

It appears to prefer eating from the ground or a flat surface, rather than the bird feeders - I can't say about beak or legs as I haven't been able to see closely enough, but it's a much darker brown than a robin and it has
a full red breast and it's underbelly appears to be a little 'thrush' like - very slight salt and peppering to the feathers. It's very slightly skinnier than a robin too.

I'm really puzzled and I did get a photo of it, but it's very poor and the bird just appears as a brown blur.

Hi again Vickity,

Melanism is basically a bird showing much darker plumage than is the norm - you can read more about this in our Opus Dictionary HERE.

I hope this helps.

Hi Delia,

Thank you for that - yes I suppose it's possible, it really does just look like a very slightly skinner and much darker robin.... would be nice if that was the answer.

Can you tell me, is it likely that a robin wouldn't recognise a melanistic robin as a threat? I ask because it's appeared at the same time as my 'resident' robins and they appear to feed quite happily side by side?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back