• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous Piha or not ? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

In early march, I saw this bird in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve in Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula).
I am net entirely sure about my ID, but I am leaning towards Rufous Piha, though the yellow throat is throwing me off a little.

Can anyone weigh in ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• Piha _ .jpg
    Piha _ .jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 62
I third the Ant-Tanager, and assume it’s in range. If not it’s another Tanager type bird that sure looks like RR Ant-Tanager :)

RT Ant-Tanager does indeed look like the right call.
Though the real bird looks nothing like the one in my field guide :)

Thanks for the help !

Not sure which you're using, but the Vallely and Dyer guide to central America is free for download from project muse at the moment. I realise it only partially covers yucatan but you may find it useful. Its image of red-throated ant-tanager is fairly accurate...

Not sure which you're using, but the Vallely and Dyer guide to central America is free for download from project muse at the moment. I realise it only partially covers yucatan but you may find it useful. Its image of red-throated ant-tanager is fairly accurate...

I used the Peterson guide for Central-America. Doesn't really cover Yucatan, but the species mostly overlap. A decent guide overall, but the female RT-Ant-Tanager was perhaps not the most accurate drawing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back