• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Bonelli's Warbler? / Qatar (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Hello,

I posted a photo of this bird here last year. I tried to reply to the original entry, but being an old thread I could no longer reply to it.

Some members of the forum thought the warbler was Eastern Bonelli's. Does anybody else thinks so too?

I submitted the entry on eBird then, but it was rejected claiming the bird wasn't on range.

I'm uploading the original photo again (plus 4 more) in case they help towards a positive ID.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

Jose

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 84
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
What reason did you have for thinking this was Eastern Bonelli's? It would be a great rarity in any of the Gulf countries. This looks like a Chiffchaff to me.

What reason did you have for thinking this was Eastern Bonelli's? It would be a great rarity in any of the Gulf countries. This looks like a Chiffchaff to me.
Thanks, Andy. It wasn't me who thought so. I had no clue of which type of warbler this could be. But a couple of people here in the forum suggested this could be EBW. Maybe it isn't.

Is it ssp caucasicus that you get in the Gulf in winter, Andy?
MJB

Is it ssp caucasicus that you get in the Gulf in winter, Andy?
MJB

Abietinus, as far as I know. There could of course be other races thrown in, like brevirostris. I don't know much about either this race or caucasicus to be honest. Calls heard in the UAE are generally monsyllabic though, often of the "lost chick" variety, although song is not that of tristis.

Abietinus, as far as I know. There could of course be other races thrown in, like brevirostris. I don't know much about either this race or caucasicus to be honest. Calls heard in the UAE are generally monsyllabic though, often of the "lost chick" variety, although song is not that of tristis.

Thanks, Andy!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back