• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Swift departure (1 Viewer)

Couple at my parents in Cheshire today - was really hard not to hug them - but great to see them as not done since first week in March - they are 80 and doing fine :)

Couple at my parents in Cheshire today - was really hard not to hug them - but great to see them as not done since first week in March - they are 80 and doing fine :)

Hugging a Swift always a hard thing to do at any time ... they just get away so fast every time ;)

Great that you were able to see your folk.

Great to see a Swift!

Zevenaar, eastern Netherlands, 13.40h, 1 specimen flying apparently SE, looked blacker than usual against the nearly completely blue sky, only some vague white shades. Heat is arriving, as promised . . .
No, jokers, the white shades were not on the bird . . . (;^)
In all seriousness, I remember that Swifts stayed for the first week of August, when I was young, and they arrived about Queen's Day, which was 30 April. And houses + roofs were different, there was no need of those ugly artificial nesting cups etc.
Jan van der Brugge

60+ over Burradon (southeast Northumbs) this morning - my largest Swift flock of the year. So no, they've not gone, but are likely more mobile as no longer so tied to nest sites, and can congregate where there's good feeding.

'My' Swifts usually depart on, or very near 8/8, they were still screaming around last night, but today the sky is empty of them. Summer here is over (despite today's high temperature and blue skies).

This afternoon had 6 Swifts pass rapidly east over the house- first definite passage birds. Local breeders seem to have departed now.

Just one today hawking and fluttering quite low over the garden. Quite a pale individual so maybe a late fledger or youngster just hanging around still.

Last night I saw six flying about over the garden but none today. Up to a couple of years ago they nested underneath my neighbour's tiles every year but they had the the roof fixed and the Swift's can no longer use it.

Ron

All you young guys are so lucky. I do not have the best hearing so my range is diminished. For the last couple of years I haven’t heard them. Also grasshopper warblers are outwith my hearing range. Makes life much less pleasant

All you young guys are so lucky. I do not have the best hearing so my range is diminished. For the last couple of years I haven’t heard them. Also grasshopper warblers are outwith my hearing range. Makes life much less pleasant

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back