• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest Lynx releases (1 Viewer)

I am in a quandary and need Agony Aunt's advice! Yesterday I received an email from the Lynx team advising that All the Birds of the World was nearly ready for shipping. However, as I have also ordered the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World, they planned not to send 'Birds' until 'Mammals' was released at the end of September and then send both together. "In case you prefer to receive the two titles separately, please let us know as soon as possible." Dear Aunt Pru, what shall I do?!

I am in a quandary and need Agony Aunt's advice! Yesterday I received an email from the Lynx team advising that All the Birds of the World was nearly ready for shipping. However, as I have also ordered the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World, they planned not to send 'Birds' until 'Mammals' was released at the end of September and then send both together. "In case you prefer to receive the two titles separately, please let us know as soon as possible." Dear Aunt Pru, what shall I do?!

A pretty stupid policy! I have not ordered Birds of the World, but if I had, I might get over the limit for having to pay import taxes here in Switzerland. Not sure how many other countries have such a minimum limit. At any rate, those who might be affected better check! :eek!:

I ordered both (separately) and have not received such an e-mail. But I want them as soon as available!

A pretty stupid policy! I have not ordered Birds of the World, but if I had, I might get over the limit for having to pay import taxes here in Switzerland. Not sure how many other countries have such a minimum limit. At any rate, those who might be affected better check! :eek!:

Obviously more environmentally friendly to send in one package and they may combine postage costs too?

I can't imagine the issue would occur if ordered through a third party.

My question (#2) was rhetorical and linguabuccal. I had ordered both works together, and am willing to wait until both are available, that being the environmentally friendly option (less packaging/plastic, etc.) and probably saving on postage too, as Andy has indicated. The anticipation should keep me going until the end of the month!

linguabuccal.

Sorry to be ignorant: I usually enjoy looking up words I am not familiar with but this one is not in my Concise Oxford Dictionary. What does it mean?

Or should it be buccolingual? I have found that one and it could be what was intended.

Steve

Last edited:
:h?:Mmmm.... the closest I get with Google is lingual buccal, which seems to refer to teeth.

Yes, I had seen 'buccolingual' as a medical term, but thought I would coin 'linguabuccal' for the humorous tongue-in-cheek. I try to coin at least one new word every decade (but who remembers my 'aborigynym' (Dict. Scientific Bird Names (OUP), 1991, p. xxi))?

My question (#2) was rhetorical and linguabuccal. I had ordered both works together, and am willing to wait until both are available, that being the environmentally friendly option (less packaging/plastic, etc.) and probably saving on postage too, as Andy has indicated. The anticipation should keep me going until the end of the month!

Checklist of mammals is currently free postage so they may add the other book in at no charge if you're prepared to wait?

I have myself in the past, offered the smaller suppliers I use where margins are tight, the option of doing exactly this if there is more than one title being released fairly close together. Just my small way of supporting the little guy.

Last edited:
They probably expect that there could be money to be made. They are a business after all.

Niels

Another issue is whether it can really be better than the preexisting Swash and Still which worked very well for me when I visited.

Niels

I messed up and missed the discount on the Illustrated checklist of the mammals volumes. Does Lynx ever do Black Friday deals, or is this just a US thing?

Replying as one (of the three) Lynx field guide series coordinators, the survey was a genuine attempt to canvas opinion. Of course, we had our own perceptions of gaps in the market/areas or countries that could benefit from a new guide, etc., but we certainly did want to hear from his many people as possible to see if any surprises cropped up, and to know which guides really might sell. Speaking purely personally, there was certainly one unexpected entry in the top 10 choices.

What no one here has openly acknowledged is that we do still have to commission authors who share the respondents (and our) preferences. There are many capable people out there, for just about any region of the world, but not all of them want to tie themselves down for the required period, or they might be already busy with other projects. Real life does get in the way, believe it or not! The list of published and upcoming titles reflects the projects that we have been offered (and considered worthwhile to do), or were able to persuade pre-identified authors to take on.

.............we do still have to commission authors who share the respondents (and our) preferences. There are many capable people out there, for just about any region of the world, but not all of them want to tie themselves down for the required period, or they might be already busy with other projects. Real life does get in the way, believe it or not! The list of published and upcoming titles reflects the projects that we have been offered (and considered worthwhile to do), or were able to persuade pre-identified authors to take on.

Thanks for this, seems important to get away from some of the criticisms. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back