• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Scridifer

Used Registrar
Supporter
Bulgaria
I've probably overlooked something obvious but I can't seem to find it in my Collins Guide! Quite a few of them of varying sizes on coastal scrubland near the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. The fruit is a real draw to birds, especially Thrushes - I've seen Blackbird, song thrush, Redwing and Fieldfare feeding on them!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1889thumb.jpg
    IMG_1889thumb.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1890thumb.jpg
    IMG_1890thumb.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1892thumb.jpg
    IMG_1892thumb.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1893thumb.jpg
    IMG_1893thumb.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1894thumb.jpg
    IMG_1894thumb.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 30
Many thanks Aeshna!

Michael - Very impressive, 'Smelly Willow' or Oleaster it is!

And lo and behold both were in my book!

Chris

Did think it didn't look right for Sea Buckthorn, but couldn't think what else it was. Not overly familiar with Oleaster, though have heard of it Quite different to the Eleagnus species I see in gardens here.

Guess I've had the advantage of seeing it wild in Turkey!
Quite different to the Eleagnus species I see in gardens here.
The clue is in the name 'angustifolia' "narrow-leaved". :t:

Around here, the popular one in gardens is the evergreen E. x ebbingei, often variegated cultivars, with much broader leaves.

As an aside, the fruit are edible, if a bit acidic.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back