• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

Day 2 has started fantastically well. First a Tawny owl calling, then, this morning two Pink-footed geese go over, and a single Brambling amongst the Chaffinch flock. Others take the garden total to 37 so far.

Since then additions (including a fly-over Mute swan) bring the total to more than half of 2010's total already! 41.

Last edited:
On day three I managed no new birds - but today...

Went out for a look for a few common birds still unseen - and, though it was quiet, within minutes had three target year ticks: Lapwing, a solitary distant bird, Wren: a brief chur, Greenfinch: a single one over.

Then a flock of Goldeneye whizzed over, closely followed by another flock - perhaps fifty in all - not only a year tick but a Garden Tick!

Year total now: 46.

Also today - the female Greater 'pecker actually feeding on the fat balls, and twenty each of Fieldfare & Redwing around.

On day three I managed no new birds - but today...

Went out for a look for a few common birds still unseen - and, though it was quiet, within minutes had three target year ticks: Lapwing, a solitary distant bird, Wren: a brief chur, Greenfinch: a single one over.

Then a flock of Goldeneye whizzed over, closely followed by another flock - perhaps fifty in all - not only a year tick but a Garden Tick!

Year total now: 46.

Also today - the female Greater 'pecker actually feeding on the fat balls, and twenty each of Fieldfare & Redwing around.

Any ideas where the Goldeneye were heading? Thats a massive count of birds. Budworth Mere is still frozen so maybe they are from Rostherne? An excellent garden tick :t::t:

CB

Hi James,

That's the 106th.

H

Brilliant garden total H. I'm stuck on 99. I've been off to a slow start this year with being busy and not at home much but here is my list so far, pretty much in the order seen:

1) Rook
2) Jackdaw
3) Blue Tit
4) Great Tit
5) Robin
6) Dunnock
7) Blackbird
8) Magpie
9) House Sparrow
10) Chaffinch
11) Kestrel
12) Wood Pigeon
13) Great Spot
14) Yellowhammer
15) Herring Gull
16) Coal Tit
17) Buzzard
18) Song Thrush
19) Goldcrest
20) Cormorant
21) Jay
22) Nuthatch
23) Goldfinch
24) L T Tit
25) Greylag Goose
26) C Crow

I'm up to 9 this year with two more on the 3rd - Grey Wagtail on a neighbouring garage roof and house sparrows which seem to have taken up residence in a nearby garden.

;)

Last edited:
Good to see all those interesting bird lists. I am enjoying seeing small flocks of redwings in my garden currently.
For all birders who enjoy watching and recording garden bird lists Please join
(if you haven't already) the BTO Garden Birdwatch Scheme full details via the BTO website, its only £15 per year. You receive the magazine and if you participate on line you have access to your records and appropriate statistics.

Good to see all those interesting bird lists. I am enjoying seeing small flocks of redwings in my garden currently.
For all birders who enjoy watching and recording garden bird lists Please join
(if you haven't already) the BTO Garden Birdwatch Scheme full details via the BTO website, its only £15 per year. You receive the magazine and if you participate on line you have access to your records and appropriate statistics

I am now in my ninth year of the BTO Garden Birdwatch Scheme and thoroughly recommend it! Mammals, Dragonflies, Butterflies, Reptiles/Amphibians and Other Insects are other species groups that are recorded giving a handy record of which I have made use of time and again.

I'm not specially keeping a garden list but seeing a Peregrine cruise by the house this afternoon was worth recording. Probably about 30 other species.

Owls this evening:

27) Tawny Owl
28) Little Owl

28? Come on Joanne, you're holding back on some!

I too had (heard) Little owl this evening (saw a shooting star & heard a Mallard last night.)

Yesterday's Treecreeper makes my total 49.

In the last couple of days I thought I've heard Sky lark & Pied wagtail - but couldn't be sure. So they will have to wait.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back