• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Seal Eastern Scotland (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Bearded Seal reported on RBA last night as still present in Chanonry Point area having been there for about two weeks.

I don't need it but no doubt there are people who will be after it!

John

Mmm, I need to find a reason to fly down to Inverness... have dipped Bearded Seal twice over the years, and this one's a cracker.

>goes off to scan diary for an opportunity...<

ce

Saw the Hartlepool one a few years ago. Got so cold waiting that my lips went numb. It popped up about 30 feet in front of me just as I was about to give up. They can stay underwater for ages, and travel fair distances whilst doing so. Cracking things , though.

Saw the Hartlepool one a few years ago. Got so cold waiting that my lips went numb. It popped up about 30 feet in front of me just as I was about to give up. They can stay underwater for ages, and travel fair distances whilst doing so. Cracking things , though.

Got some half decent photos of it; will post tomorrow if I can find them. Also saw one on Shetland while dipping Brunnich's Guillemot in '87. Can't be too many of us around who've seen two in the UK!

James

I'd like to see them. The Hartlepool one stayed submerged 99% on the time whilst I was there. Mind you, it was probably the coldest day I experienced in 16 years living on Teesside. It snowed that evening, and the snow froze..on the beach at Redcar..that, for Britain, is cold.
Also saw Glaucous Gull and Black Throated Diver from a nearby pub later on (Jacksons Wharf?).

Here's the Hartlepool one (pre DSLR days mind, with just a 210mm lens). Good luck if you head north for the current one John.

James

Attachments

• Bearded Seal1.jpg
    Bearded Seal1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Bearded Seal2.jpg
    Bearded Seal2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Bearded Seal3.jpg
    Bearded Seal3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 279
  • Bearded Seal4.jpg
    Bearded Seal4.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 282
Impressive beast, thanks a lot James! As I said, it stayed underwater an awful lot when I went to see it.

Holy phocids Batman!

I just googled Bearded Seal in Moray Firth to try to get up to date news on this animal and first thing up was old news (Jan 2006) of both Ringed Seal and Hooded Seal in the area during 2005!!!!!

Need both of those and they must be getting spotted occasionally in UK because they were up to 10 and 14 records respectively - about twice what I knew about - look carefully at seals guys....

John

The sightings were at very different times of the year, so I am inclined to think that once a seal arrives it may stay in our waters - although it may also wander. Certainly I shall be more rigorous in my scrutiny of pinnipeds at all times of the year.

We must be overdue for another Walrus as well, and I can't see that being an ID problem....

I wondered overnight just how engaged our information services are with those who may have information like this but be unaware of the demand for it. Not just those with information websites that can be trawled, such as county bird clubs and conservation trusts, but academic institutions that may - for instance - be regularly surveying seal populations at hotspots. No doubt forum members will have ideas on who to chat up.

I'm not thinking of Joe Public here, there's too much chance of deliberate fakery if an article in the Stun tried to raise their awareness and I suspect most will know or know of someone in the bird business they can ask about a "funny bird" - but would all your networks think immediately of mentioning a rumour of an odd seal/whale?

Perhaps some RBA/Birdnet product development effort could be expended in trying to improve timeliness of news? The Ringed and Hooded Seals mentioned above were in the public domain but news didn't come out. It would be nice if pre-emptive effort now could render the next ones available.

John

Last edited:
Perhaps some RBA/Birdnet product development effort could be expended in trying to improve timeliness of news? The Ringed and Hooded Seals mentioned above were in the public domain but news didn't come out. It would be nice if pre-emptive effort now could render the next ones available.

John

This would be great if it could be incorporated with RBA/Birdnet/Birdguides etc. I am sure there is a demand for mammal and during the summer insect news.

With regards to a polecat watch point, the Speyside Wildlife Pine Marten hide is always full, I am sure the same could be true for polecats in Wales, someone who has reliable polecats is missing a trick.

Mark

I saw it on the 22nd and it was showing well off the point but diving a lot and light wasnt great for pictures. A local chap said it has been seen as far up stream as Kessock (Inverness)

Re Walrus. A dream beast in the UK. It must be on the cards as I recall records in Lincs, Co Clare, Shetland and North Uist in recent years.

Be good to see a list of what and how often these vagrant mammals have turned up (and the others ie Ringed, Harp, Bearded etc)

Harp is a very common animal IIRC. Surprised if it doesn't turn up fairly regularly. I remember seeing one on Holy Island in August might have been 2000ish.

Be good to see a list of what and how often these vagrant mammals have turned up (and the others ie Ringed, Harp, Bearded etc)

There is some (somewhat vague) information in the recent Where to Watch Mammals book.

These are all fascinating sightings though, as with vagrant birds from distant parts, I find myself hoping more lost seals don't turn up. I'd rather they didn't go through the possibly traumatic, possibly life-sortening process of wandering so far from their normal haunts.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back