• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine falcon prey (1 Viewer)

David_R

Hello,

Here are some photos of a Peregrine falcon hunting a prey in Barcelona, Spain, yesterday. Does anyone know what species it could be?

Many thanks
David

Attachments

• IMG-20170316-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170316-WA0000.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG-20170316-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170316-WA0001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 115
Yes, I think it's quite difficult. I was thinking of a Blackbird but not sure...

Neither Blackbird, which has larger, sturdier, dark legs, nor Dartford Warbler;) which has shorter toes and tarsus of a darker more reddish brown colour.

Thrush family definitely, because of long tarsus, maybe a Robin?

Peter

This isn't a Blackbird or Song Thrush, unless Peregrines have grown to the size of eagles... I was wondering about Pipit sp but not sure! Can't think of much that's small, dark and long-legged, and I'm quite surprised at a Peregrine taking something that small really...

This isn't a Blackbird or Song Thrush, unless Peregrines have grown to the size of eagles... I was wondering about Pipit sp but not sure! Can't think of much that's small, dark and long-legged, and I'm quite surprised at a Peregrine taking something that small really...

Agreed, to me the legs look too dainty for Blackbird or Song Thrush. Something pipit-ish was my thoughts too.

I originally thought Mipit (light legs) but then went for Dartford Warbler, (which do show bright legs - like the Peregrine almost (sorry Peter;)) as the bird looks dark for a pipit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back