• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD XD 8x32? (1 Viewer)

I'm by no means an expert in binoculars, but given my limited experience I'd say that they're pretty good both in terms of image quality and build quality. I've compared them to both my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and Opticron Discovery 8X32 WP PC.
More and more I am convinced of two notions that are often pointed in this forum when it comes to optics:
1. You get what you pay for.
2. Differences in quality get smaller as soon as the price gets higher (that is to say, the difference between a 50 € and a 150 € pair of binos will be a way bigger than that between a 800 € and 950 € pair of binos, although the price difference is the same, 150 €).
- Build quality: the binos feel really sturdy and solid. The quality feeling (to my eyes) is at the same level of the Zeiss. The rubber armor is really rugged and the grip is reassuring. I was comparing the Conquest and the Kowa side by side yesterday at dusk, observing Eurasian stone-curlew among vineyards, and obviously the Zeiss has a brighter lens (I was surprised that it is not a "much" brighter lens, or an "incredibly lighter" lens). The Kowa are obviously a little less bright, but they have a very good contrast. Maybe one of the clearer differences is the % of the view that is flat/usable. In the Kowas this is smaller, obviously (and gets even smaller in the Opticron).
So, given the prices I payed for them (in € Zeiss 800, Kowa 350, Opticron 250) I think the Kowas are the best value for money of the three. I haven't looked through the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (mines are 8x42), but given the price difference (the Zeiss are roughly twice the price of the Kowa) IMHO you really have to like the Zeiss over the Kowa to invest that money. So we came to point number 1 and 2. I am not saying that Kowas are on the same level as the Zeiss (they belong to a lower category), but the value for money (price/performance) could be more than satisfying for someone interested in birds but who doesn't want to break the bank.

- Pros: brightful, good contrast, build quality, value for money
- Cons: heavy and not the smallest (compared to the Opticron, for example)

I haven't tried this Kowa yet but the Kowa Genesis 8x33 (along with Meopta MeoStar 8x32) is outstanding value as is the Conquest HD.

One characteristic of the Conquest HD that you don't mention is its fast focus that makes it perfect for habitats where very close subjects like dragonflies and butterflies occur at the same time as distant birds. The little Conquest just eats this kind of situation as it can focus far out and near to so quickly that you don't miss anything by spending precious seconds pumping a slow focus.

Lee

I haven't tried this Kowa yet but the Kowa Genesis 8x33 (along with Meopta MeoStar 8x32) is outstanding value as is the Conquest HD.

One characteristic of the Conquest HD that you don't mention is its fast focus that makes it perfect for habitats where very close subjects like dragonflies and butterflies occur at the same time as distant birds. The little Conquest just eats this kind of situation as it can focus far out and near to so quickly that you don't miss anything by spending precious seconds pumping a slow focus.

Lee

I agree with Lee that the Kowa Genesis 8x33 are one of the best mid-priced mid-size binos available. There are some top birders here in SoCal that absolutely love theirs.

The Kowa BD32-XDs are excellent in their price range, and one of the few 8x32s at that price level, but they are no competition for the $850 - $1150 models, especially wrt chromatic aberration.

To hawken12
Save yourself money in the long run, get either the Kowa Genesis 8X33 or the Conquest 8X32. If you go with the BD your apt to be bino shopping again in a year.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back