• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung Galaxy S8 (1 Viewer)

GWB77

Grafham Water Birder
Hi all,

I've just switched from iPhone to Android, and the Samsung Galaxy S8 camera seems very impressive when used for taking normal photos - however, its not quite as good for digi-scoping as the iPhone..... or at least that is how it seems currently. I can't believe this to be true though.

I have made a simple adaptor (super glued my iPhone/Swarovski Adaptor to a new Samsung phone-case - see attached). Works perfectly with my 20-60 zoom.

The issue seems to be that when trying to capture stills, the Samsung always want to focus on the nearest object / largest object - for example; when trying to photograph Scaup on my patch, the camera was trying to focus on the nearest waves to me, leaving the Scaup slightly out of focus and when trying to digi-scope the recent Norfolk Snowy Owl, the camera was more interested in getting a very sharp image of the grass bank behind it! No amount of 'screen-tapping' on the part I wished to focus on would get the auto-focus to focus on that area. With the iPhone, this feature was very good, and the camera would quickly focus where it was asked to focus. I have checked some of the settings, but cannot seem to improve this feature.

Videoing is much better, and the camera auto-focus is pretty good at staying-with the bird even when it moved/swam. The captured video, even in low light, is pretty impressive!

Does anyone have any experience/tips???

Attachments

• IMG-20180309-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180309-WA0003.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 92
i have galaxy myself. this happens on quite a few models not just galaxy
it can be due to a few things. one, memory full which usually means too much going on in background. two, an other app tying it up. three a sensor fault (inertia)
try dialling *#0*# and click on 'mega camera' this uses the original base settings and if it works then it means you have a clashing app.
the usual applies, clear cache, sift reboot, use power saving to sleep stuff, disable or remove stuff you dont use, turn off data and wifi unless totallly necessary while using cam.
its worth ringing your samsung support and they will run you through checklists to see if a fault.
good luck.

Did you try a different camera app? OpenCamera for instance is pretty good (and free, with no annoying advertising).

Hermann

Does anyone have experience with a good camera App for the S8?

Procamera for iPhone seems very good, but its not available for Android. Is there an equivalent?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back