• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Cuckoo being heard practically every day at the moment. Coal Tits continue to do well. Starling was checking out the Great Tit nest box this morning.

Rich

M + F Siskins back in the garden yesterday. A Wren belting out a tune whilst I was working from home and the Cuckoo heard again.

Attachments

• F5A4246D-372A-4FFC-80D8-B6B578AE2E57.jpg
    F5A4246D-372A-4FFC-80D8-B6B578AE2E57.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 23
Been busy this morning with Starlings.

I can’t believe the number of Starling in the garden all morning - a post -breeding mixed age flock of 40 +. If you knew the size of my small cottage garden, you’d be forgiven for comparing it to a scene from the Birds.

I have two fat feeders (one fat balls hidden in the hawthorn, 1 suet block in the rose bush and 1 hanging seed feeder -basically a lot of noise and a lot of squabbling! Also one small makeshift pond which I built recently (for dragonflies and my bats) and one average size birdbath which I have had to clean and refill about 10 times since 7am! I counted 8 Starling at once at one point all pushing and shoving to have a bath!

Also in are the small flock of my breeding House Sparrow feeding fledglings, (and using the dog bowls to drink from and bathe in, which they share with the Blackbird families)

The Song Thrush also came down for a bath in the fresh water as did newly fledged Greenfinch, the Siskin pair and various Tit species.

Not all are caring and sharing- I’ve literally had to go out and shoo off my Woodpigeons who after drinking, treat the communal watering hole like their personal convenience and just lie in it for ages to cool of - I wouldnt mind but they continually defecate in it requiring me to empty and refill it each time so it stays hygienic.

For some reason images uploaded upside down ?. I even tried turning the images upside down before uploading but that made no difference.

Attachments

• 0321CF6A-7C19-4DC1-B273-102A3FD45A9E.jpeg
    0321CF6A-7C19-4DC1-B273-102A3FD45A9E.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 5A2FFD24-8EF0-4E0B-ABC5-5F8CF8DD3078.jpeg
    5A2FFD24-8EF0-4E0B-ABC5-5F8CF8DD3078.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I can’t believe the number of Starling in the garden all morning - a post -breeding mixed age flock of 40 +. If you knew the size of my small cottage garden, you’d be forgiven for comparing it to a scene from the Birds.

I have two fat feeders (one fat balls hidden in the hawthorn, 1 suet block in the rose bush and 1 hanging seed feeder -basically a lot of noise and a lot of squabbling! Also one small makeshift pond which I built recently (for dragonflies and my bats) and one average size birdbath which I have had to clean and refill about 10 times since 7am! I counted 8 Starling at once at one point all pushing and shoving to have a bath!

Also in are the small flock of my breeding House Sparrow feeding fledglings, (and using the dog bowls to drink from and bathe in, which they share with the Blackbird families)

The Song Thrush also came down for a bath in the fresh water as did newly fledged Greenfinch, the Siskin pair and various Tit species.

Not all are caring and sharing- I’ve literally had to go out and shoo off my Woodpigeons who after drinking, treat the communal watering hole like their personal convenience and just lie in it for ages to cool of - I wouldnt mind but they continually defecate in it requiring me to empty and refill it each time so it stays hygienic.

For some reason images uploaded upside down ?. I even tried turning the images upside down before uploading but that made no difference.

Today I seemed to have nothing but Starlings in the garden I even filmed them mobbing the fatball feeder. https://youtu.be/3kTPMaN8J3I

Again the garden has been full of Starlings and their youngsters. Yesterday when I came home from Birding I put out a new coconut treat and throughout the afternoon there were Starlings everywhere and it wasn't until tea time I realised the coconut treat was empty so I put a new one out.

Hey all! Newbie here, Londoner!

Not quite sure what this thread is about, but we have a lot of juvenile starlings, sparrows, great/coal/blue tits and magpies at our garden feeder! We also have resident robins, wood/feral pigeons and once a jay - spotted a juvenile GSW for the first time yesterday which came twice, but the drilling neighbours appeared to have spooked it and it hasn't been back at all today :( Any chance it'll be back or was it just passing by? I put out every imaginable food so we get some variety but nothing too rare! Been feeding for a few months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• KenM
Back