• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (1 Viewer)

Hi Adam Honeysuckle is excellent for attracting moths.I use a powerful torch when i am looking for moths in the garden they often fly around the light and sometimes settle on the ground or nearby plants.But the best way of seeing moths is to use a moth trap.

Hi Martin, yes the Honeysuckle does seem to do the trick, the Budleia looks like it will be flowering soon aswell so that should attract a few Butterflies and moths.

Hi Martin, yes the Honeysuckle does seem to do the trick, the Budleia looks like it will be flowering soon aswell so that should attract a few Butterflies and moths.
You cannot beat buddleia for attracting butterflies and moths.Another good plant is Sedum Spectabile common name Ice plant.It flowers late summer/autumn just in time for the Red Admirals,Small Torts ,Peacocks ,Commas and Painted Ladies.

You cannot beat buddleia for attracting butterflies and moths.Another good plant is Sedum Spectabile common name Ice plant.It flowers late summer/autumn just in time for the Red Admirals,Small Torts ,Peacocks ,Commas and Painted Ladies.

That seems to be one of the only problems with the Buddleia, it seems to flower too early sometimes for many of the Butterflies that seem to appear i late summer/autumn, I noticed you and Brian discussing staggering some of the Buddleia so they flower at different times which sounds like a good idea.

That seems to be one of the only problems with the Buddleia, it seems to flower too early sometimes for many of the Butterflies that seem to appear i late summer/autumn, I noticed you and Brian discussing staggering some of the Buddleia so they flower at different times which sounds like a good idea.
Yes if you stagger the pruning you have a longer flowering season.I have 2 Buddleia which will be in flower anytime now and the others that i have will be in flower in 6 weeks or so.

Last edited:
Hey, if anyone has any spare plants (especially to attract moths + butterflies) I'm always happy to get freebies!!! Ta.

I had a very interesting and successful morning near Thornley Woods at the Derwent CPK.I went there because i wanted to see a butterfly which i have never seen White -letter Hairstreak.I soon found the area where they had been seen a few days ago and started looking at the Elm trees but no sign of any. Then after 15 mins a WL Hairstreak suddenly appeared and landed low down on a Elm leaf it started to sun it's self i managed to get very good views. I then decided to have a slow walk further down the track and saw 3 more flying around a Elm tree.Nearby there were some brambles in flower so i waited patiently and after a few minutes 2 WL Hairstreaks flew down from the Elm tree and went on the bramble flowers they showed really well.The area where the Hairstreaks are is also excellent for other butterflies saw 11 species.

Butterflies seen
White-letter Hairstreak 5
Comma 3+
Small Tort 14
Peacock 1
Red Admiral 1
Small Skipper 15
Ringlet 20
Meadow Brown 30+
Common Blue 2
Large White 2
GV White 1

Last edited:
I decided to go to Cowpen Bewley cpk this morning i hadn't been there for a while.I went straight to the scrapes where the dragonflies are usually seen.There was a bit of dragonfly activity saw my first Common Hawker and Ruddy Darter of the year.Other dragonflies seen

FS Chaser 5+
Common Darter 10
Broad -bodied Chaser 1

Damselflies seen

Emerald Damselfly several
Blue Damselfly lots
Bt Damselfly severel
Didn't see many butterflies this time nothing different seen a part from a Comma seen several of those in the last few days.
Called into Tilesheds,Boldon on my way back home nothing different seen there apart from a single Small Tort and a Comma.Still loads of Small Skipper counted 96.In the garden today saw a Red Admiral first one i have seen in the garden this year.

Last edited:
Saw 2 Meadow Browns in the garden today they seem to be turning up in the garden quite regular the last couple of years.I never used to see them

Last edited:
Cinnabar caterpillars etc

A walk down the back of the cock crow the other day saw toads and baby toads but also saw a lot of these caterpillars they are cinnabar moth caterpillars and are black and yellow to show they are poisonous (because they eat the poisonous ragwort) hopefully this means there will be a lot of the moths there in the not too distant future. I also included a bee orchid I saw there. The dragonfly larvae is one I saw the other week at saltholme I think it may be broad bellied chaser. they were by the ponds/seating area shortly after you enter.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 180
  • tims graduation 015.JPG
    tims graduation 015.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 188
A walk down the back of the cock crow the other day saw toads and baby toads but also saw a lot of these caterpillars they are cinnabar moth caterpillars and are black and yellow to show they are poisonous (because they eat the poisonous ragwort) hopefully this means there will be a lot of the moths there in the not too distant future. I also included a bee orchid I saw there. The dragonfly larvae is one I saw the other week at saltholme I think it may be broad bellied chaser. they were by the ponds/seating area shortly after you enter.
Hi Pete nice to see the Cinnabar moth caterpillars they will pupate soon and over winter and hatch out next year.The only birds that are able to eat poisonous caterpillars are Cuckoos.

Walking to work at lunchtime and noticed the tiny strip of rough ground between the SOL Metro station and the retail park held,

Large white X2
Ringlet X2
Small Tort X1
5 Spot Burnet X1
Small Skipper X1

Also saw Speckled Wood, Wall Brown and Meadow Brown there last year just shows what even the smallest peice of land can be capable of, that whole area used to be great for Butterflies and Moths and Birds for that matter years ago before the Metro station was there and it was all just waste ground regulary got Wheatear, Grey Partridge, Kestrel and even saw my first Stonechat there aswell as a large variety of Butterflies and Moths.

Walking to work at lunchtime and noticed the tiny strip of rough ground between the SOL Metro station and the retail park held,

Large white X2
Ringlet X2
Small Tort X1
5 Spot Burnet X1
Small Skipper X1

Also saw Speckled Wood, Wall Brown and Meadow Brown there last year just shows what even the smallest peice of land can be capable of, that whole area used to be great for Butterflies and Moths and Birds for that matter years ago before the Metro station was there and it was all just waste ground regulary got Wheatear, Grey Partridge, Kestrel and even saw my first Stonechat there aswell as a large variety of Butterflies and Moths.
Hi Adam seems to be worth keeping a look out on the small rough ground.Small Skippers seems to be everywhere.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park today - Common Hawker and Emerald Dragonfly on car park ponds plus my first Migrant Hawker of the year on the pond nearest the road. Several Common Darter as well.

The scrapes by the hide held several Common Darter, Ruddy Darter, Four-spot Chaser and a Common Hawker.

Several Emperor Dragonflies over the lake as well.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Painted Lady, Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Small Skipper, Small White, Green-veined White.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park today - Common Hawker and Emerald Dragonfly on car park ponds plus my first Migrant Hawker of the year on the pond nearest the road. Several Common Darter as well.

The scrapes by the hide held several Common Darter, Ruddy Darter, Four-spot Chaser and a Common Hawker.

Several Emperor Dragonflies over the lake as well.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Painted Lady, Common Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Small Skipper, Small White, Green-veined White.
Hi Ian it seems to be poor so far for hawkers i have only seen 1 Common Hawker no Brown,Southern or Migrant Hawkers yet.

Hi Ian it seems to be poor so far for hawkers i have only seen 1 Common Hawker no Brown,Southern or Migrant Hawkers yet.

I've not seen many at all either. The cooler temperatures and strong winds seem to have slowed things up again. Not much sign of things changing over the coming week either.

Wingate Butterflies.

Had my first visit of the year for Marbled Whites at Wingate today. There was plenty about but very flighty so very hard to get close to. Loads of other Butterflies including Large White, Ringlet, Small and Large Skipper, Small Heath (including one with its wings half open:eek!:), Meadow Brown, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood.

Attachments

• Marbled White.jpg
    Marbled White.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Small Tortoiseshell.jpg
    Small Tortoiseshell.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Meadow Brown.jpg
    Meadow Brown.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Large White.jpg
    Large White.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 179
  • Small Heath Open Wing 2.jpg
    Small Heath Open Wing 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 197
Had my first visit of the year for Marbled Whites at Wingate today. There was plenty about but very flighty so very hard to get close to. Loads of other Butterflies including Large White, Ringlet, Small and Large Skipper, Small Heath (including one with its wings half open:eek!:), Meadow Brown, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood.
Wingate is an excellent place for butterflies you hardly ever seen Small Heaths with there wings half open.You are right about the Marbled Whites they are flighty they dont stay still for long.

I am coming to Seahouses next week for a fortnights holiday. Does anyone know if Large Heath are still on the wing. If so, can anyone advise of sites that I could try.

Another flower which I was advised to plant, to attract moths is Nicotiana (tobacco plant flower). This is apparently night scented and seems to be working for me.
The following are some of the moths I’ve trapped over the past week in the garden with a home made trap, all of which were released after being photographed.
Well! These are the ones I’ve managed to name, plenty others, including the micro moths yet to be ID’d.

Large Emerald
Light Emerald
July Highflyer
Snout
Yellow Shell
Buff Arches
Green Carpet
Swallow Tail
Peppered Moth
Dark Arches
Barred Straw
Grey Dagger
Light Arches
Smoky Wainscot
Map Winged Swift
Plume Moth
The Drinker
Lesser Cream Wave
Common Emerald
Beautiful Golden Y Also a Green Lacewing.

Small Tortoiseshell, Green Veined White, Ringlet and Red Admiral, also seen in the garden.
A few moths attached which were trapped on Sunday Night/Monday morning.

Attachments

• _MG_3218.JPG
    _MG_3218.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 195
  • _MG_3250.JPG
    _MG_3250.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 187
  • _MG_3261.JPG
    _MG_3261.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 192
  • _MG_3415.JPG
    _MG_3415.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 209
  • _MG_3493.JPG
    _MG_3493.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 196
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back