• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making bird calls and getting responses? (1 Viewer)

Groovy Grackle

Just thought I'd see what experiences you guys and gals have had in trying to imitate different bird species calls in your region?
For some species I can make a whistle noise with either my tongue against the front part of the roof of my mouth and others I use from my lips..it depends on the species sometimes. The other day I randomly made ( as close as I could) the call of an Eastern Towhee and was very surprised to get a few calls back!
I have also had some success calling Blue Jays but sometimes I wonder if it's just coincidence..Blue Jays are fairly common anyway.

I wonder if these birds still can detect that the call is inaccurate or for some it's good enough?

Here are some of the bird species in my area I think I have had maybe a small success in calling.
Tell me your opinions or your experiences please and how imported can bird calling ( or learning bird calls ) be in birding? I am no expert btw on bird calls .

Possible bird calling success by species.

Norther Cardinals - That soft "tch...tch...tch" sound they make while eating.
Carolina Wrens - Think I got a few of their attention while making their rapid fire "chi chi chi chi chi' call.
Eastern Towhees - Very easy "drink your teeeeea" call ...yet very imperfect...still I got answered.
Blue Jays - One of the easiest calls imo..usually a harsh "sreee sreee" made by the tongue against the roof of my mouth.
Brown Thrasher - A certain call they make reminds me of someone chopping wood!

Last edited:
Yes, it can work, if you can do a good imitation. Just by imitation (not recordings), I've pulled up Tawny Owl, Nightjar, Golden Oriole, Whimbrel, Greenshank, and others :t:

HI GG !
Just to mention, this is something you shouldn't do during breeding season as it can upset nesting birds.

HI GG !
Just to mention, this is something you shouldn't do during breeding season as it can upset nesting birds.

Hi KC Foggin!
Yes that is very true. I try and not use it excessively..but sometimes my curious nature gets the better of me! :-O

I mainly just find a good place to sit still and quite when I make my outings...more birds seen that way anyway. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back