• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Someone persuade me NOT to buy the NBikon P5000 ! (1 Viewer)

g8ina

He's pining for the Fjords !
I have the funds but I'm dithering. Can anyone tell me why I *shouldn't* buy the Nikon P5000.

I have an astro scope (which I've been trying to sell, but it looks like I'll be keeping it), so I can use 1.25" (or even 2" eyepieces so no vignetting), and the choices of eyepiece available is vast. Afocal projection will be a new thing to me, as I'm used to using my D70 at prime focus (500mm f6).

Now I've sold a few other bits and pieces, I will also have enough to buy the FSB-6 and/or UR-E20 (both in stock at Warehouse Express), plus whatever other bits I'll need.

So, persuade me !

ta

jump onboard, I ordered mine last Friday,, time to retire the old 990 and pass on to one of the grandkids,,

I'll be using mine through a Tele Vue TV85 scope,, been doing it for several years,, they make a great 28mm adapter that fits directly onto most TV eyepieces,,

Lol! It's hard to think of a good reason not to buy the P5000.

My main reservation about the camera is the vignetting - but that's not going to be a problem for you.

The only other issue for me is the poor high ISO quality. Anything over ISO100 is distinctly grainy.

Apart from that it's a great buy.

Its really a question of what you want, not what others think youshould have. My advise is this, think very hard about your requirements, from what I can remember, the English weather is very dull and fickle for most of the years, so noise or lack of it would be the ultimate consideration, and from what I read the fuji's are the best equipt to handle that, think well and enjoy. Ernie

Its really a question of what you want, not what others think youshould have. My advise is this, think very hard about your requirements, from what I can remember, the English weather is very dull and fickle for most of the years, so noise or lack of it would be the ultimate consideration, and from what I read the fuji's are the best equipt to handle that, think well and enjoy. Ernie

I'm with Ernie on this ... Ask yourself why do you want a P5000?,
For me ... Nikon have only brought out 3 Camera's worth having in the
compact range ... 990, 4500 and the 7900 ... The rest to me were very
low standard compared to these ... Nikon nowaday's seem to throw out
very substandard stuff and seem to lower there quality as they progress,
The P Series as alway's to Me ... Been there let down,
The P5000 has 10 MP ... We all know that we need no more than 6-7 on
any Camera ... The ISO on the P5000 is'nt good as IanF mentioned ...
Anything after ISO 100 and your looking at grain ... I had a quick go with
the P5000 as i was interested aswell ... AnyOne else find it slow?,

So ... What do you actually get for £300?, Apart from £100 off a Dslr ... You get next to nothing, If your a newbie coming into Digiscoping then
yeah it's a Camera to try, But seriously ... I've seen at the most 2 pictures
on this Forum that were pretty good ... The rest i've seen digiscoped with
the P5000 are'nt anywhere near the quality i was hoping for,
A big let down to me to be honest and very very dissapointed at the
quality ... Why did'nt Nikon put ED glass?, All in all i would'nt get One after
what i've seen on the Forum ... I'll stick with my other Nikon's and get
better picture's thank's, ;) ,
Good luck and Take care,
John,

Thanks guys,

I think you failed... I'll be off to Jessops to try a price match against Pixmania tomorrow (£225).

Im used to the noise, as the D70 is pretty similar (according to dpreview), and the speed isn't that bad, apart fro the continuous mode...

Oh well, here comes another new learning curve !

Thanks again.

Thanks guys,

I think you failed... I'll be off to Jessops to try a price match against Pixmania tomorrow (£225).

Im used to the noise, as the D70 is pretty similar (according to dpreview), and the speed isn't that bad, apart fro the continuous mode...

Oh well, here comes another new learning curve !

Thanks again.

If you can get it for £225 then You have'nt failed either ... For that price
it's a Steal ... Good luck and Hope you do well with it ... Keep us posted,
Take care,
John,

Well, it would be better if its zoom started at a wider angle. Plus, I won't buy a point and shoot camera that doesn't take AA batteries.

Right :)

Managed to see one in the flesh at Jessops, not bad built quality at all, quite impressed actually, lovely solid feel, just like the D70.

However, Jessops declined to offer a price match against the £225 at pixmania.com, so I just bought it online for them - £218 inc VAT and del, used a £7 voucher :)

Quite pleased with that price, and also spent a few more quid getting another battery (no problems with those btw, if they're anything like the Nikon D70 battery - it runs forever !), a couple of 2GB SD cards, a UR-E20 28mm adaptor, and a case, total spent about £266 :)

Now I just gotta learn how to do afocal projection !

I am sure you will be pleased with the P5000.
I have the F30 and the P5000.
Much better success rate regarding the focus on the P5000, and more natural colour. P5000 pictures are easier to tweak in Photoshop than F30, due to less in camera processing. And the 10mp is an advantage, you can use less zoom on the camera, and crop the picture to increase the size, which gives better quality than over zooming the camera. And I am sure the VR works even in digiscope use, I certainly hardly ever see pictures with blur caused by the scope/camera moving in the wind etc.
I have the choice over which camera I use, and for me now I am very happy with the P5000.
Will have to see about winter pictures (less light) the F30 may well come back into use.

Have fun

Malc

Last edited:
I am sure you will be pleased with the P5000.
I have the F30 and the P5000.
Much better success rate regarding the focus on the P5000, and more natural colour. P5000 pictures are easier to tweak in Photoshop than F30, due to less in camera processing. And the 10mp is an advantage, you can use less zoom on the camera, and crop the picture to increase the size, which gives better quality than over zooming the camera. And I am sure the VR works even in digiscope use, I certainly hadly ever see pictures with blur caused by the scope/camera moving in the wind etc.
I have the choice over which camera I use, and for me now I am very happy with the P5000.
Will have to see about winter pictures (less light) the F30 may well come back into use.

Have fun

Malc

i've been using my P5000 in pretty much nothing but grey weather lately and it's worked fine.
I don't bother with VR since i'm tripod mounted anyways and i can't see it helping much anyways.
shots have been amazingly good, a lot less throw away than before.

What's that noise ???

Arrived today, sooo tiny :)

I have very acute hearing and got worried when I could hear a whirring coming from the lens, even with all features disables (AF, VR etc).

Nikon actually replied to my query in 2 minutes flat - it's the VR feature, which is active even when switched off so it's always ready for action. Gotta hand it to Nikon, that's amazing response time !!

First impressions are very promising. A little soft on the image, but a touch of unsharp will help, colour is great with all variation of WB - nice. I'm just waiting for my 28mm eyepiece adaptor, but the first shots taken hand held against a 25mm eyepiece are very good, I'll post a couple later.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back