• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Today on the top peak area of the Puig Major I have seen 4 Common Rock Thrush, singing and kind of territorial, so I guess at least 4 pairs breading there, a very good new.
Also at least 15-18 pairs of wheatears, singing all around.

Great news Pep. Is access restricted or can anyone go there? Also, where does the ascent start?

After several unsuccessful attempts to see a Storm Petrel from my local lighthouse, I joined Pep and Miguel at Porto Colom tonight.
Pep managed to find just one, going like a bullet across the surface of the water at 8.45pm.
After this, I promised to show them some Long-eared owls breeding close to my home.
Nothing showed. Just when you want birds to behave, they let you down. It’s very annoying.
Mike

I can´t id this lark as I haven´t had enough experience with either Thekla or Crested lark. Anyone? Picture was tkaen at the son Bosc road, opposite the bee eaters.

Attachments

• Lärka.jpg
    Lärka.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Hello Vincent!
I have also written in your FB about this bird :)
I haven't much experience with Crested but I think it's a Thekla.
The bill is quite short, and it seems has paler face (in general) than Crested, but the light is not the best. It's true that the crest looks longer. Have you had a better view or a photo of the front?
Regards,
Cristina.

Hello Vincent!
I have also written in your FB about this bird :)
I haven't much experience with Crested but I think it's a Thekla.
The bill is quite short, and it seems has paler face (in general) than Crested, but the light is not the best. It's true that the crest looks longer. Have you had a better view or a photo of the front?
Regards,
Cristina.

I did see your comment there, thank you :)
It sat like this and only moved its head, so all I have is the head in other angles.
What makes me unsure is that I find the bill and crest long. But it was windy so the crest might get help with the wind to look longer?

With all due credit to the author of this splendid paper attached, I have found the details therein very comprehensive and helpful.
Not all the features are visible on your bird but for me, it’s a Thekla Lark with the wind possibly blowing the crest back. I see that happening quite a lot.
Mainly the shape of the lower mandible convinces me together with the shorter supercillium.
Crested to my knowledge have never occurred in Mallorca since I’ve been coming here.
Mike

Attachments

• B47F4169-E4A1-470F-AA82-4C2EC2019179.jpeg
    B47F4169-E4A1-470F-AA82-4C2EC2019179.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 77
I was surprised at the lack of shearwaters at Porto Colom last night, especially as I had seen good numbers the night before at my local lighthouse in Porto Petro.
With this in mind I returned to Porto Petro tonight and logged 277 mixed shearwaters, mostly Scopoli’s but there were some Balearics too, about 20% maybe.
It all seems a bit strange because Porto Colom is only just up the coast. My only thoughts are that some shearwaters feed further out at sea and return to Cabrera in the evening by cutting across the corner at the south east point and don’t travel down the east coast from further up. That’s my theory anyway.
Not even a whiff of a Storm Petrel, the half light plays tricks on the mind and it’s hard to see much at all, let alone a tiny seabird bombing along just over the surface of the water.
Mike

I was surprised at the lack of shearwaters at Porto Colom last night, especially as I had seen good numbers the night before at my local lighthouse in Porto Petro.
With this in mind I returned to Porto Petro tonight and logged 277 mixed shearwaters, mostly Scopoli’s but there were some Balearics too, about 20% maybe.
It all seems a bit strange because Porto Colom is only just up the coast. My only thoughts are that some shearwaters feed further out at sea and return to Cabrera in the evening by cutting across the corner at the south east point and don’t travel down the east coast from further up. That’s my theory anyway.
Not even a whiff of a Storm Petrel, the half light plays tricks on the mind and it’s hard to see much at all, let alone a tiny seabird bombing along just over the surface of the water.
Mike

Mike, 20% of 277 is aproximately 54 balearic shearwater, and we saw more or less 40 yesterday, I dont see this difference, we saw most of shearwaters coming south along the east coast, and the numbers between yesterday and today are kind similars.

That means I saw 223 Scopoli’s tonight.
Last night I thought there were few Scopoli’s.
I don’t think we saw anything like 277 in total
Mike

Last edited:
Sorry about the lack of information, I have been in the UK for a few days.
There have been a few sightings of Oystercatcher around Cuitat Jardín recently and in the adjoining coves.
Oystercatchers are never easy to see, only a handful most years.
I will post all other recent sightings as soon as I get the details.
Mike

Stopping off in Majorca[ capital city] on a cruise in August.
Any handy places on bus routes out of the capital to go for a walk for birdwatching or scenic areas.Don't mind long strenous walks
Is the bird reserve near Pollensa on a bus route?
Thanks

Today was the last meeting at the tower, Albercutx.
We celebrated with local produce and lots of laughter. The locals really are a super bunch of birders, all dedicated to conservation and maintenance of the natural environment here in Mallorca.
I have the totals for this year so far which I will post.
We now all look forward to the return migration at the Cap de Ses Salines in August.
Mike

Some figures for the spring migration at the tower, Albercutx.
Bee-eaters aside, 411 went through, the most common raptor was Marsh Harrier with a total of 148 birds.
Next came Black Kite with 82 then the fabulous Honey buzzards with 68 being logged.
29 Common Kestrels went through on migration.
23 Hobby.
17 Booted eagles.
15 Red Kite.
A very good total of 14 Sparrowhawk were counted and 11 Common Buzzard.
3 Montagu’s harriers.
3 Black stork.
The highlight would have been the possible Goshawk that was seen on the 24th March but it was not positively identified.
Many thanks to Lalo and all the members of GORA for these details.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Neil.
A very enjoyable read, thanks for sharing it.
I have had a number of enquiries for a site for Nightjar in the north so I was wondering if you could give some details and whether other birders would be able to visit the site unless it’s on private land.
Many thanks, Mike

Yes, a nice report, and one that reminds me of similar experiences I had years ago when staying in villas in the March valley. A nice-looking villa, too.
Martin

Lovely report Neil.
Shall be visiting the Island again next month and looking forward to seeing the special birds that call Mallorca home,again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back