• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and please help me where to post! (1 Viewer)

GrackleGurl

GrackleGurl
Hello from Phoenix Arizona! I am so happy to be here and join the family! My mom and I are bird junkies with a wild backyard full of locals. I need to know where to post my problem for help, can someone please tell me which area to post my problem we are having with a "killer" bird killing our local fledglings in our backyard. Please tell me where to post this issue for help. I have alot to explain and need as much help as I can get to resolve our problem and help save our backyard babies! Please and thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I’m sorry to hear you have a “killer” bird in your yard. However, there might not be a lot you can do about it depending on the bird. If it is coming to a feeder and then getting to the other birds you could stop feeding or watering for a short time and see if that discourages him. It is sad to say, but nature is not always nice.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from me in Myrtle Beach :t:

Yes, nature can be raw at times but it is nature nonetheless. Most birds are protected under the Federal Migratory Act and this includes all Birds of Prey, i.e. Hawks and Falcons etc.

Thank you SO much Lisa and Kc for your kind words and helping hearts! Whats happened is that mom n I have aquired and been blessed with a huge flock of Grackles who have now taken ownership of our backyard AND our hearts. We also have a huge colony of house sparrows, doves, Gambles quails, house finches, occasional Cardinals, and anything else that decides to land on in. We know all of our Grackles, half have names and the new babies we are working on names. Some of them we are lucky to have 3 generations take up residency! Our Grackles have our hearts! Its a little obsessive to where we schedule appointments around times that we want to be home to feed them and change their water dishes and kiddie pools we have for them out there. But we wouldnt have it any other way, they bring us so much joy we could never ever give back even a fraction of what they bless us with. Where our problem comes in is in the new arrival of an unwanted guest. We call him the Serial Killer bird, hes another Common Grackle (we have half Boatails and half common all in the same flock). He just appeared one day awkward and very fidgety and VERY predator creepy mannerisms we noticed him RIGHT AWAY. At first just thought oh a newcomer ..then watching him a few minutes we were startled! He surveyed the whole area, mimicking the other birds, but would never eat or drink, just look and lunge. Then he would pounce on any mother feeding fledglings and even got ahold of a few who initially ran right up to him at first with their mouths open and wings flapping thinking are you my daddy ? Feed me feed me....only to be viciously attacked! It was so shocking it completely disrupted our whole loving peaceful harmonious oasis! The next week he had gotten a fledgling while we were gone! I cried all day. Removing her little body in pieces from the water dish she loved to bathe in now completely filled with blood, completely devastated me. I still cry over her loss. That day the flock was awry and barely ate anything. Not too many visitors came after that, that day. His next couple of attempts we fortunately have thwarted, by being on the scene. Literally screaming yelling and banging as soon as he decends on any one of our residents. Now he is eating and drinking among the flock, but still attacking when he can. We are SO afraid he will get ahold of another one of our sweet playful trusting little fledglings, when we arent home. Friends have offered suggestions that Im not ok with and absolutely doesnt coincide with the peace and love we have cultivated over time with all of our birds. One suggestion was a handheld and operated slingshot. The rest were from bb to pellet guns.

Oops I sent too soon. But please if anyone has any suggestions or has been through anything similar any advice encouragement or direction is soooo welcome. I thank you all for your care. Godbless you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back