• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey or Chestnut Teal, Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Would this first pic be a female Chestnut Teal rather than a Grey Teal? The second pic is, I believe, a Grey Teal.

Attachments

• Teal, Grey(2).jpg
    Teal, Grey(2).jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Teal, Grey(1).jpg
    Teal, Grey(1).jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for your input Seth. I'm hoping some of our Aussie friends might have a view...but they might be busy watching the World Cup Cricket!!

I don't know anything about whether or not the throat colour is a reliable feature (we could do with an Aussie here), but if it is a good feature, I'd advise extreme caution in using anything other than multiple very clear images to evaluate it (which these aren't). Be interesting to hear if there are any other id features to go on too.

I don't know anything about whether or not the throat colour is a reliable feature (we could do with an Aussie here), but if it is a good feature, I'd advise extreme caution in using anything other than multiple very clear images to evaluate it (which these aren't). Be interesting to hear if there are any other id features to go on too.

Just looking at the Google books copy of Madge Wildfowl & other web resources. Basically, grey teal has whitish throat and face, chestnut without such clearly contrasting marks. Chestnut with warm buffish-brown plumage cf pale greyish, and a more strongly mottled appearance due to more clearly dark feather centres. So, I think first photo is chestnut.

I have not enough experience to be 100% sure and know both species only from captive birds and photos, but there Chestnut teal appeared slightly browner and darker , while the few Grey teal had a whiter chin and throat in general. Here I´d say first is chestnut, second grey teal.

However, that said there are some photos in the web where i do not feel confident. I would also have said grey teal here:
https://www.hbw.com/sites/default/f...p/2011_09_18_Anas_castanea3.JPG?itok=Y173481K

what do others think?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back