• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bangkok - mid-July (1 Viewer)

Link to a thread in the Thailand sub-forum - any information would be gratefully received. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=377631

Note you are in the middle of the wet season in July. At the very least there could be Tropical downpours most afternoons; all day, if you're unlucky - as I was in June 2012.

Here's a link to a friend's blog that might give you some ideas: he doesn't update it any longer, but there's a few years worth of archives you could check out.

http://bangkokcitybirding.blogspot.com/

Chatuchak Park and Suan Rot Fai are easily accessible from the city centre by Skytrain.
Lumphini Park is also worth a visit.
I saw many birds in these places in May 2019.
Sorry, I can't advise on weather or birding in July.

Thanks.

Flights now booked and I have 2 full days free although with the likelihood of afternoon rain I guess two mornings would be more realistic. Unfortunately over the weekend so it will be busy but I'm looking at Suan Rot Fai and either Bang Poo or one of the other city parks. Any other better options?

Hi Pete,

Bang Pu is now easier to access than in the past as the skytrain goes most of the way there now - you'll still need to take a taxi from Kheha station to the site, though. Obviously, Bang Pu is better over the winter for all the gulls and waders, and it's also a good place for surprises during migration, but there are still some good resident birds there, with Racket-tailed Treepie being a favourite of mine, and pretty common near the 'crab' sculpture just inside the nature reserve. As you may have read, the main gate into the actual nature reserve (to the left of the pier) is almost always locked, but there is another entrance about 50m away at a small bridge (behind the nearby buildings) - it is always open.

Another option would be Sri Nakhon Khuen Khan park, in Bang Krachao, which is a little harder to get to via public transport, but has some nice resident species that are quite easy to see, such as Pink-necked Green Pigeon, Green-billed Malkoha, Stork-billed Kingfisher and Greater Racket-tailed Drongo. You might even run into Black Bittern in the scrubbier areas. Here's the link from thaibirding.com (if you haven't already seen it).

http://thaibirding.com/locations/central/sri-nakorn-kuen-khan-park.htm

-Ben.

It was about £60 pp when we did it in April last year. Good value. Unfortunately we didn't see the whales but July/August is peak time for them at April about the worst. If I were around at that time of the year, I'd leap at the chance to go again.

It was about £60 pp when we did it in April last year. Good value. Unfortunately we didn't see the whales but July/August is peak time for them at April about the worst. If I were around at that time of the year, I'd leap at the chance to go again.

I've been on this twice, and that price sounds about right, because when we bought tickets, it was a 'Valentine's Day special' 2-for-1', and the tickets worked out to be a little over 1000 Baht per person.

Given it was around Valentine's Day, it wasn't peak whale-watching season, and we didn't see any whales, but because of this, we were told we could try again later in the year for free - I'm not sure if this type of offer still stands..? On this first trip, despite not seeing any whales, we did see a pod of Finless Porpoises (and a dead one), as well as a single Pomarine Jaeger among the more common terns.

I took the free trip later in the year in October, and saw a number of whales, including feeding quite close to the boat, which was a great experience. On the return to Bangkok, we also got lucky when we came across a pod of Irrawaddy Dolphins, too. Birds on this trip were just terns, but there seemed to be a lot of Bridled Terns this time around, especially heading out.

Anyway, well worth a trip out in in Bangkok at the right time of year!

I know that this operator also saw Thailand's first Sabine's Gull a year or so back in the Gulf, as well as a storm-petrel (can't remember the name), and they do offer pelagic trips out of Phuket into the Andaman, though I don't think the demand is too high,yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back