• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (38 Viewers)

IIRC - Westwood is strictly permit only with, literally a handful issued. A new permit only becomes available when somebody rescinds an existing one. You will have no chance of acquiring one based on the current system. Permit holders are allowed a 'guest' but i think they have to visit at the same time. If a 'good' bird is found then the place is opened up for a short period and a donation is made.

I do'nt all of the present permit holders, just a couple, and based on these all holders will be noted birders not newbies, casuals or birders of unknown provenance.

What surprises me is how much is found there but does'nt make it a few yards along at UW.....

ATB Laurie:t:

Wayne has done an excellent job in getting the owner to agree to open access (albeit for limited periods) for such goodies as RN Phal, Spotted Sand and Surf Scoter in recent years.

Last edited:
IIRC - Westwood is strictly permit only with, literally a handful issued. A new permit only becomes available when somebody rescinds an existing one. You will have no chance of acquiring one based on the current system. Permit holders are allowed a 'guest' but i think they have to visit at the same time. If a 'good' bird is found then the place is opened up for a short period and a donation is made.

I do'nt all of the present permit holders, just a couple, and based on these all holders will be noted birders not newbies, casuals or birders of unknown provenance.

What surprises me is how much is found there but does'nt make it a few yards along at UW.....

ATB Laurie:t:

Thanks for that. I thought it all seemed a bit clandestine when I was looking around for info on the Internet. Just have to wait for something good to pop up I guess and see if I can get in then!

Right, I'm ready for a bit a decent Birding again...Lets have some ( however hopefully optimistic) predictions/ possibillities for the weekend Mr Andrews ! Personally I would welcome a Curlew Sand for starters ? ;)
See you the weekend

hi John
The speed of the hide going up is surprising and pleasing ,just a quick question ,the distance between the windows look large and the corner distance between windows ,I know I'm looking at it from the photos , is different close up.Tim
Yes Tim I think the distance is slightly wider than the old hide.:t:John

Right, I'm ready for a bit a decent Birding again...Lets have some ( however hopefully optimistic) predictions/ possibillities for the weekend Mr Andrews ! Personally I would welcome a Curlew Sand for starters ? ;)
See you the weekend

It will be good to see you at 5am tomorrow Mark:smoke: (yes am not pm8-P)

A couple of views of the new hide. The West track is now open right through but the new hide won't be open until passed by Building Control. Early next week hopefully. The doors are locked so please do not try to go in.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9282 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9282 - Version 2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 176
  • _ROB9278 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9278 - Version 2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 164
Hide update - Moors Pool

Rob Allen of the Trust advises that construction of the hide finished at around 3pm today. However, due to the rain today it has not been possible to glue the Fibregrid/safety surface onto the stairs. The forecast looks good for Monday, so it is proposed to undertake this final element then. Building Control did their first inspection today and were pleased with it; they are due back on Tuesday morning. Once their final sign-off the hide can be opened, hopefully later on Tuesday.

However, for this weekend the hide will remain closed / locked although the track along the Salwarpe had been opened as is the track from the car park to the concrete / Water Rail hide.

I think the Trust deserve great credit in this instance for the swift erection of what appears so far to be a quality structure. We have a management meeting with the Trust this coming Thursday when we hope to nail down a definitive timetable for corrective works to the hide at the Flashes.

Is it in fact the first ever record of a lizard on the reserve Des?

I have seen Slow -worms myself at Upton on several occasions. I have heard of several reports also - e.g. From Paul Anthony. About ten years ago, two were by the steps of the flashes and I was lucky enough to see them.

That's amazingly quick work compared to the delays and fuss of the Flashes hide, b****y well done to the builders. I was there on Monday and the old hide was still in place then.
Jackie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back