• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best mechanically built binoculars today ? (1 Viewer)

Hi Foss (post #14),

The Porro Steiners are an interesting case. In the higher grades they are at least optically adequate if not outstanding
However, in all grades they seem to have a common failing:
- they’re reasonably robust until they’re not
- and once not, often nothing can be done
There are a number of threads on this forum about such failures, including extensive first hand experience by Bill Cook

In terms of shock absorption, the largest mass glass components in binoculars are the prisms
And the choice for manufacturers is whether to:
- rigidly mount the prisms, and risk them chipping or cracking under transferred impact, or
- use a mount that allows some give

The traditional approach with Porros is to use a seat that gives rigid support on 5 sides but allows some give along the optical axis by the use of a spring retaining clip
see both the image of a Leitz Binuxit showing a slot in clip (from Tobias Mennle: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/leica/binuxit/binuxit.html )
and that of Swarovski’s use of a clip with a retaining screw on one end

The Steiner design dates from the mid 1960’s, and was meant to be a lower cost alternative to traditional military binoculars by using innovative technology, combining:
- a rubber covered, polycarbonate (‘makrolon’) housing
- along with glued in place components, including the prisms

The problem with the Steiners is that the glue holds until it shears i.e. an all or nothing response - verses elastic give

The 8x30 version was adopted by the West German military as the Fero-D12, and used from around 1966 to 1972
However, it proved inadequate in service, which while including various routine duties and training activities - notably did not include the extremes of sustained war fighting
(and in Holger Merlitz’s comparative review of the D-12 and it’s contemporaries, it performs the weakest optically: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/zeiss8x30.html )

In contrast, I seem to remember (correctly?) Henry Link recounting that he once dropped a Swarovski Porro 10x40 from a short height onto carpet, causing one of the prisms to unseat
While in one sense an obvious failure, it was easily fixed when serviced

In recent catalogues Steiner refers to a ‘Floating Prism System’, see the attached screen grab. It seems to imply silicon padding (or perhaps just a more flexible silicon glue?) in the prism mount *
However, whether this significantly addresses the fundamental problem is unclear

Steiner Porros are widely used by armed forces e.g. the 2014 purchase of 15,000 units by the British: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-army-kit-helps-soldiers-see-more-clearly
However, modern military’s seem to increasingly treat binoculars as consumables, rather than gear to be maintained by skilled service technicians
In such circumstances the Steiner’s real strength in military use would be the unit price advantage

John

* there is a cross-section of a Steiner Military-Marine 7x50, however the mount details are unclear

Attachments

• Leitz Binuxit 8x30.jpg
    Leitz Binuxit 8x30.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Swarovski.jpg
    Swarovski.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 'Floating Prism System'.jpg
    'Floating Prism System'.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 49
  • Steiner 7x50.jpg
    Steiner 7x50.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
"However, modern military’s seem to increasingly treat binoculars as consumables, rather than gear to be maintained by skilled service technicians"

This seems like a parallel to the majority of mid/low-priced glass today.

Andy W.

Post #15 btw. mentions that a CZF 7x40 DF (the predecessor of the EDF) went out of collimation.

Hi Joachim,

The EDF („Einheits-Doppel-Fernrohr“) was the roof prism model, succeeded by the Docter B/GA.

The DF design (porro) on the other hand was licensed to ZRAK in Sarajewo who made lots of them under the designation RD-7x40 for the Yugoslav army and the Warsaw Pact troops and still makes them today (I just got a civil version recently).

Both the EDF and the DF were „NVA“ (Nationale Volks-Armee“) binoculars.
Canip

Last edited:
Hi Joachim,

The EDF („Einheits-Doppel-Fernrohr“) was the roof prism model, succeeded by the Docter B/GA.

The DF design (porro) on the other hand was licensed to ZRAK in Sarajewo who made lots of them under the designation RD-7x40 for the Yugoslav army and the Warsaw Pact troops and still makes them today (I just got a civil version recently).

Both the EDF and the DF were „NVA“ (Nationale Volks-Armee“) binoculars.
Canip

Hi Canip,

indeed - but the torture test was specified for the EDF. Not sure if the DF as a porro model would be up to it.

Joachim

The original post says what are the best built binoculars mechanically today, so the older ones might not count.

But the Minolta Mariner? 10x40 black seems very strong. One piece body.
But it is terribly dim, not phase coated and has optical windows.

Low priced 10x25 and 8x21 roof prism binoculars seem strangely robust.
I think small light weight binoculars seem to cope well.
My old Docter 10x25 looks worn out but is still fine.

I have seen many well used military binoculars in charity shops that still work well, but need cleaning.

Not a binocular, but old Broadhurst Clarkson drawtube scopes, ex army, always seem to be fine after perhaps 100 years. Just full of dust. The drawtubes are smooth and glass intact.

Some military photographic lenses are very tough.

To me the British army Steiner binocular purchase makes sense. There is probably a limited time warranty where replacement binoculars are given free. After that replacements are paid for.

B.

But the Minolta Mariner? 10x40 black seems very strong. One piece body.
But it is terribly dim, not phase coated and has optical windows.

I had one of those many years ago. Yes, they were rather dim - and had quite a small eye relief. They handled quite nicely, though... I think I was persuaded by the blurb in the sales brochure.

For the Polish army a PZO 7x42 porro was made and that was a very very sturdy and strong binocular, comparable with the (East) german 7x40.
Gijs van Ginkel

MeoStar bino

I agree with JG's hand on assessment of the Meopta MeoStar line of bino's. I worked with another optic's company for almost a decade and then parted ways. The first time I looked throu9gh a pair of MeoStar bino's I knew I wanted to work with Meopta. The MeoStar bino line is overbuilt and will not leave you wanting. The glass is outstanding Schott glass with Meopta's proprietary coatings. The fact that they are sub $1000 is truly impressive. Since I started using them 4 months ago my bino's costing 2.5 times more haven't seen the light of day. If you haven't looked at Meopta binocular's before, do yourself a favor and do so. For those who want to save money, Meopta just came out with the Optika line of binos. Sub $300!
If you have any Meopta question's, drop me a note, I don't do any sales, just trying to help pass along some information. I know some of this site Sponsor's do carry Meopta and hopefully, you can buy from them.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/IMG_0292.jpeg

This is nothing more than my best guess because I don't really know! I take the best care of my binoculars possible because I don't WANT an inadvertent "test" of their build quality. I will say after using various binoculars some kind of develop a feeling of being "mechanically well built."

In no order:

1. Swarovski SLC
2. Meopta Meostar
3. Leica UVHD+
4. Zeiss Conquest HD

The Minolta 8x32 Mariner seems well built and robust. The Minolta is in their early script as on their earlier film cameras.
I just looked through it this afternoon and now and the image is good although dimmer than newer 8x32s.
Some ghosts but flare and glare control quite good.
I see the whole field easily but I don't use glasses.
Thin rubber eyecups about as new.

Minolta
8x32
7 degrees
Japan
JB 35 (Raito Koki Seisakujo Co.)
Q1069xx

Eyepieces single blue and multicoated surfaces.
Objectives single blue coated.
Optical windows uncoated.
Some internal uncoated surfaces

WR on front of focus knob.
Maybe this means water resistant? but I have heard that these may be waterproof.

It looks like my Foton or old Trinovid.
Feels a bit heavy, but handles well.
Still has well worn silver Japan sticker on right metal objective outer cover.

B.

...Which binoculars have the best , most robust MECHANICAL construction today , for the purposes of this question OPTICAL qualities must not be taken into account...

Well, since I cannot bring myself to leave optical performance out of the equation when it comes to considering how well a binocular resists or tolerates damage, I guess I will nominate the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Beantlee-Fol...=1566941631&rnid=3375301&s=electronics&sr=1-2
Or maybe these:
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Binocu...=1566941631&rnid=3375301&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Actually, I've seen many of these type of awesomely resilient binoculars in hardware store check-out lanes and I think they are available under many labels. The thing about these binoculars is that they are mechanically impervious to damage. Oh sure, you can tear them apart with enough force, but no matter what you try (or succeed) at doing to them, their optical performance is undiminished. They remain, for all practical purposes and birding applications, as good as new (and intact).

--AP

Last edited:
Wow @ the not-waterproof of the Leica Ultravid! Was that issue solved in the HD?

Was it ever an issue?

Me and Troubadoris have been out for hours in pouring west Scotland rain, she with her Leica Ultravids, and she has never had a water ingress problem.

This may not be the same as actual immersion in a river or bucket of water but its probably a more realistic test of what the Ultravid needs to be proof against.

Lee

Waterresistant and claimed waterproof till x meters is different indeed. Allbinos seems to have tested as the maker claimed it could endure. But I guess Leica read it too at that point and the new HD would withstand the test.

Alexis first link is interesting.

The 30x60 means that one telescope is 30mm wide and the two telescopes that turn it into a binocular are 60mm wide.

When it is completely dark it says one cannot see anything at all.
This is because it is so dark one forgets to take the caps off.

How great is Amazon and its products?

B.

Alexis first link is interesting.

The 30x60 means that one telescope is 30mm wide and the two telescopes that turn it into a binocular are 60mm wide.

When it is completely dark it says one cannot see anything at all.
This is because it is so dark one forgets to take the caps off.

How great is Amazon and its products?

B.

Give over David, at least it is a red-film coated binocular telescope and to prove it the lenses have a green tint!

Lee

Lee,
Actually these binoculars and the 8x21s are usually O.K.

A family member bought a 10x25.
Same shape and style.
It was well collimated and extremely clean inside.
It gave a good view and cost about $9 or so.

How they make these binoculars for the price I don't know.

But why is it necessary to fabricate all the blurb?

I saw a British tank commander using a low price 10x25 instead of the Avimo.

I have several and use them for safe solar projection.
I like the 10x25s not the 8x21s.

Regards.

O.K.
I am slightly crazy.

To prove a point I just took a well collimated 8x21 binocular, fully coated optics
392ft/1000YDS
131m/1000M

The view was O.K. with a very curved field that was corrected at the edge by refocus.

This is the First time I have ever deliberately dropped a binocular, and I have had few accidents over the years, as I greatly value optics.

I dropped this binocular from 7ft, more than 2 metres onto the hard kitchen floor.
I expected it to survive.
It didn't.

The right barrel is fine but the left barrel prisms are completely dislodged just moving around and rattling.
The left hinge is also very loose.

So I have a monocular remaining.

Don't try this at home.
I have done it for you.

Alexis is wrong.
This binocular is no longer useful for birdwatching.

Regards,
B.

Hi John at post #21
Most of my experience has been with Commander and other rubber protected 7x50s. Your point about some models being essentially non-serviceable is well taken and should be weighed by anyone thinking about purchasing a set. The 8x30 is widely regarded as a throw away in my circles.
BTW: I always look forward to reading your posts...they contribute greatly to the binocular-community storehouse of knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back