• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Birds Love Coffee Beans ! (1 Viewer)

martybee

Garden birds love coffee beans. Discovered this simple fact by pure happenstance when I dropped some old coffee beans onto the garden (they were headed for the compost bin). They were gone in minutes. Mystified, I repeated the procedure several times and I now know why, as our feathered friends swooped and devoured every one.

Maybe like us humans, birds enjoy a caffeine fix now and again. I now mix coffee beans in with the nuts in my feeder and they are rapidly and perkily pecked by sparrow, blue tit and coal tit alike !

Garden birds love coffee beans. Discovered this simple fact by pure happenstance when I dropped some old coffee beans onto the garden (they were headed for the compost bin). They were gone in minutes. Mystified, I repeated the procedure several times and I now know why, as our feathered friends swooped and devoured every one.

Maybe like us humans, birds enjoy a caffeine fix now and again. I now mix coffee beans in with the nuts in my feeder and they are rapidly and perkily pecked by sparrow, blue tit and coal tit alike !

Hi, not to sound like a boring party pooper, but the coffee beans could be harmful to the birds with all that caffeine in them. Might be worth doing some research to find out for sure.

Regards

Will

From googling it, it seems that wild birds eat coffee beans wherever they are grown. Presumably the coffee plant uses birds to disperse its seeds. Though perhaps roasting introduces complications

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back