• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Service for Golden Ring 8x42 HD (1 Viewer)

nfbirder

Before I contact Leupold, I figured I'd run this by the great minds that inhabit this forum. ;)

As stated in the subject, I have a GR 8x42 HD binocular that need service. Both ocular lenses and one objective lens are scratched/chipped, and the aluminum inside one of the eyecups has bent (due to fall) such that it will no longer screw down. Finally, the hinge "tube" has been scratched badly.

None of this is due to any kind of manufacturing defect--just very heavy use.

Does this sound like something that Leupold would typically consider "under warranty"? Are they still repairing/replacing GR HDs, even?

Thanks in advance for your response, which I will arm myself with when I contact Leupold.

Before I contact Leupold, I figured I'd run this by the great minds that inhabit this forum. ;)

As stated in the subject, I have a GR 8x42 HD binocular that need service. Both ocular lenses and one objective lens are scratched/chipped, and the aluminum inside one of the eyecups has bent (due to fall) such that it will no longer screw down. Finally, the hinge "tube" has been scratched badly.

None of this is due to any kind of manufacturing defect--just very heavy use.

Does this sound like something that Leupold would typically consider "under warranty"? Are they still repairing/replacing GR HDs, even?

Thanks in advance for your response, which I will arm myself with when I contact Leupold.

They may fix them if they are able. Don't expect them to replace
the scratched lenses, without a charge. Nobody does that under wty., that I am
aware of.
I would call them first to get an understanding before you send them in.
Let us know how things work out.

Jerry

You might call in advance, but my lifelong experience tells me it may not be real necessary. My experience with Leupold is somewhat counter to Jerry's suggestion, in that they very will likely replace those lenses without charge. They might charge, but I'd be surprised. The lens availability will be the teller of the tale. I'd guess they have them or can get them from Kamakura, but I don't know for sure. So, as I said, I'd give them a call and see how the land lays here.

This is after all a Gold Ring product, and there is no better warranty and service that I have ever seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back