• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird news for Florida (1 Viewer)

still got a bad back but it's improving daily so should be out the woods soon!:-O

Been pretty busy in the state recently for uncommon and scarce species. Nothing major really on the rarity front but a cold front just passed through Tallahassee today. It went from being in the 80s yesterday to low 50s as I write and the temp is still dropping steadily. Wore a fleece today. I fully anticipate a rarity or two to show up behind this front. South Florida or the panhandle coast being the likely spots to host such birds. Anyway here are the recent records.

2 American Black Duck are present on Mounds Pool 3 at St Marks NWR. Black Duck is an annual winter visitor and St Marks is THE most reliable site for them every winter. One of the 3 White-faced Ibis was spotted at the refuge recently also.

A Brown-crested Flycatcher has been seen at Fort De Soto County Park in Pinellas County as recently as yesterday. A Long-billed Curlew is also present at the North Beach shorebird sanctuary and will likely winter.

The C-111 pump station area nr Homestead is always an excellent birding location (out of area birders take note). Several scarce and uncommon species are currently attracting many locals, including Carlos who saw some great birds in that area today. Vermilion Flycatcher, Lark Sparrow, Western Kingbird, Swainson's Hawk, White-tailed Kite etc. All these species are recorded wintering and migrating in the S Fla region annually but are worthy of mention. Wish we had such a selection in my area!
Here is a picture of the Vermilion. http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/tasboard/messages/60531.html

A flock of Greater (American) Flamingos has been frequenting Florida Bay in the Everglades area. The birds are thought to be juveniles and considered countable. You'll probably need some luck, a hike out to the end of the Snake Bight Trail or a boat to see them. Good Luck!

I'm off to Archbold Biological Station. If something major shows up hopefully Carlos or somebody else will post.

A Dark-eyed Junco was found in Brevard County in parking lot 12 at Playalinda Beach. Junco's are rare in the peninsula.

Last edited:
A drake Eurasian Wigeon, an almost annual winter visitor to Florida, has showed up along Black Point Drive at Merritt Island NWR in Brevard county.

A Franklin's Gull, a rare but annual migrant species in Florida, was observed at Ponce Inlet in Volusia county.

A second Vermilion Flycatcher appeared today to join the first one at the same location just before Lucky Hammock in Miami-Dade county.

Carlos

A Sage Thrasher has been present on St George Island for several days now, sorry for the belated post! Sheila Klink saw it yesterday - 1pm on the Eastend fishing area road. "Like John, I found it on a Yaupon bush on the South side of the road but it seemed a lot closer than 500yds. The bush is located between the 2nd and 3rd set of fences walking east from the parking lot. There is a small dead tree/shrub behind it. I placed a small pile of rocks on the north side of the road across from the bush."

This is about the 10th state record.

There are 2 male Eurasian Wigeon viewable from the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive at Merritt Island NWR.

2 Vermilion Flycatchers are present at the CR-111 canal area near Lucky Hammock.

October Summary

What an incredible month it was for rares and scarce birds to Florida! Fort Pickens was probably the hottest spot, which took some doing considering the birds S. FL had.

On 1st 2 Say's Phoebes were found, one at Fort Pickens and the other at St Joe Peninsula. 2 days later Roberto "Toe" Torres found THE bird of the month, a YELLOW-GREEN VIREO at Matheson Hammock; it stayed for 9 days! A Ruff was found at Merritt Island on the same day. Fort Pickens scored again with a Fork-tailed Flycatcher on 5th. A Western Tanager graced Fort Zach in Key West on 13th and the next day saw a Tropical/Couch's Kingbird near Lucky Hammock. A fine male Bullock's Oriole was found on St George Island on the 15th and a Say's Phoebe returned to Ranch Road nr Astatula in Lake County for its 4th consecutive winter! 5 Greater White-fronted Geese flew by Bald Point on 16th. On 18th a male Black-headed Grosbeak was located in Evergreen Cemetery, Fort Lauderdale and a male Masked Duck was reported from Stock Island in the keys. Another mega showed up on the 20th, a KIRTLAND'S WARBLER at Richardson's Park in Broward County. A Varied Thrush was found at Fort Pickens on the same day and a Black-throated Gray Warbler was spotted on Honeymoon Island. South Florida continued to produce on 21st with a one day Bananaquit at Bill Baggs and there were 3 White-faced Ibis at St Marks NWR and 4 Groove-billed Ani at Fort Pickens. 2 Cinnamon Teal were found in Seminole County on 22nd and a fine Audubon's Warbler graced Sanibel Island on 24th. A Brown-crested Fly was also found on 24th at Bill Baggs. On 25th a Cuban Bullfinch started a debate but the bird is most likely an escaped pet! The last rarity of the month was another Say's Phoebe, reported from the Everglades NP on 28th.

List filling scarcities were plentiful as well. Here's a list of scarce and uncommon birds found during October. I should have took the month off!
Franklin's Gull, Bell's Vireo, Rufous Hummingbird, Wilson's Warbler, Brown Creeper, Philadelphia Vireo, Bay-breasted Warbler (major influx), Ash-throated Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Western Kingbird, Vermilion Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Le Conte's Sparrow........great stuff!

Last edited:
Sorry haven't had time to do this of late.

Not much going on. Lapland Bunting at Fort Walton spray fields and 2 Sprague's Pipits. An American Tree Sparrow was reported from the Panhandle but hasn't been verified or seen subsequently. Mega rare for Florida so would be nice if re-found!
Winter hummingbirds are off the charts. Visit this blog for details. http://onthetrailmyfwc.blogspot.com/2011/12/winter-hummingbirds.html

A Red-necked Grebe was reported from Baker County.

Another Green-tailed Towhee was found today in Alachua County. It is on US 441 just opposite (a bit north) the 441 platform on Paynes Prairie. That is, on the west side of 441, and about one telephone pole north of the point just opposite the platform.

Also in Alachua County a Fox Sparrow has returned to the same feeding spot on the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail in Gainesville. Andy Kratter has a feeder set up and scatters seed beneath on the east side of the GH Trail about 400 yards south of SE 22nd Ave or 1000 yards north of the Boulware Springs parking lot (off SE 15th Street).

A male Wilson's Warbler was found yesterday at Alligator Lake in Columbia County (I think!).

Lucky Hammock area continues to produce scarce and uncommon wintering flycatchers. Ash-throated, Scissor-tailed, Vermilion (2) and Western Kingbirds have been seen regularly in the area. One of the best birding sites in the state! http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/tasboard/messages/61923.html

A Western Tanager was also heard and seen in a birders yard in the Miami area. I don't have any other details.

I know it's a rarity, but I'm pretty sure I may have seen a Wilson's Warbler two days ago in Lithia. Got long, close views and heard multiple 'chet' type calls. The most notable features (besides the bright yellow underneath and darker olive-yellow above) were a dark cap and a very bright supercilium, particularly towards the back of the eye. The were no striations above or below and the tail was often cocked as it moved about the tree at eye-level. I will try to return to the location tomorrow with camera in hand this time.

I know it's a rarity, but I'm pretty sure I may have seen a Wilson's Warbler two days ago in Lithia. Got long, close views and heard multiple 'chet' type calls. The most notable features (besides the bright yellow underneath and darker olive-yellow above) were a dark cap and a very bright supercilium, particularly towards the back of the eye. The were no striations above or below and the tail was often cocked as it moved about the tree at eye-level. I will try to return to the location tomorrow with camera in hand this time.

Cool!:t:

The Kirtland's Warbler was seen in October at a small park in Broward county. It has been gone for at least 1 1/2 months now, though...

Carlos

Any word on the Towhee at Paynes Prairie lately? We'll be there next Monday evening and Tuesday morning looking for it.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back