• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly Trip (1 Viewer)

Cliff1002

Am planning a week long visit, first week of October, only been once before for 3hrs for the heron earlier in the year.
Hoping to do B&B somewhere close to Hugh Town.
Is there somewhere birders currently meet (cafes or pubs) to share news/insight etc as I'm travelling alone and it would be handy getting the lowdown from any experienced birders. Any tips or advice would be warmly welcomed. More than happy to join any other crews who will be on the islands that week as an extra pair of eyes and ears may help? PM me if interested.

The log is read in the Scillonian Club each night. Or it was! There are info boards chalked with the latest news fairly regularly. If you see someone running, follow them!

Thanks Jon, I will check it out and make sure I pack my trainers! I'm guessing there is no need to hire a car out there but can you hire bikes for getting around?

Thanks Jon, I will check it out and make sure I pack my trainers! I'm guessing there is no need to hire a car out there but can you hire bikes for getting around?

As far as I recall there are no cars to hire! Believe bike hiring is possible and there are taxis if needs must, but walking is the best option IMHO. You could 'trial' a messaging service to your mobile for a week... or just hang around people with pagers ;)

Getting the community bus time table from either the bus driver or the town hall is handy at times. It runs fairly regularly and can get you from one end of the island to the other quite quickly. Roger

Definitely walk. It's always beautiful, enjoy the scenery. It's not that far, I've done 20+ autumn trips and never had a lift anywhere.

Have you booked anything yet? I don't think there are as many places open into October as there used to be - also flights tend to fill up quickly (may already be so) but I guess the Scillonian usually has spaces - also good for a bit of seawatching en route.

All
Thanks for the info to date, have managed to book flights from lands end and a B&B in Hugh Town. Walking will be fine, thanks re the bus info. I don't have a pager but do have the bird guides app on my iPhone, assuming I can get a signal out there, if not I'll follow the people that are running!
Cheers Cliff

All
Thanks for the info to date, have managed to book flights from lands end and a B&B in Hugh Town. Walking will be fine, thanks re the bus info. I don't have a pager but do have the bird guides app on my iPhone, assuming I can get a signal out there, if not I'll follow the people that are running!
Cheers Cliff

Phone signals can be a little iffy. Vodafone the best. If you think you make a return visit, maybe a good idea to invest in a WalkieTalkie, forgot what they go for, you can get them from the Log.

All
Cheers Cliff

I doubt you will have enough signal for apps in many places

Bit the bullet and invested in the new RBA QUAD X35 pager....hopefully that will do the trick!
Phew I'm glad about the no running bit as I'm no spring chicken!

It was the hot sweaty walks that kept us going..... Worth it though when there was Eye-browed Thrush, Chimney Swift, Black-and-White Warbler, or take your pick of many others over the years!

Am off back to the scilly isles on Friday until tuesday, will the recent storms bring anything in...fingers crossed.
If you were restricted to just St Marys which locations would you fancy to turn up something? Garrison? Lower Moors?

Thanks Tom

i already follow Spiders blog and will probably accost him on the island for info...
Just dug out the last 8 years worth of Scilly Birds and Natural History Reviews to do my homework
cheers
Cliff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back