• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

The usual Kingfisher on the Cole.
Then finally another Kingfisher on the River Tame, Spaghetti jn. Not sure if it's a resident or a fly through.

Yesterday the Kingfisher on the River Cole.
Good news in general for Kingfisher after a difficult spring, I note on Twitter several Midlands Kingfisher reports.
I checked on BTO and for a second time this summer Kingfisher sightings have increased. Though not to the higher historical levels.

After the Kingfishers on the River Cole, I was not going to check the Rea. Good job I did though as the Kingfisher was there. It called a couple times but not full calls. That's 3 weeks since I saw one last here. I'll have to start looking closer and good if a regular is back.

As on the Trittiford thread, the Kingfisher was present, Friday, Saturday and today.
The Kingfisher was on the River Rea, Selly Park yesterday evening at the good old, nest one location. At first it was in the river on some rocks, it then flew to a branch over the river. This Kingfisher does not fly off that far. It was also seen by Andy on Twitter at Ten Acres.
Good news today, again on Twitter, Trevor Jones saw a Kingfisher back on the Bourn at Bournville Valley parkway boating pond. The first since the beast from the east. Great!

After the Kingfisher at the River Cole,
Juvenile Tufted Ducks at Manor Farm Park.
House Martins over Valley Parkway boating pond.
Swallows over Woodgate Valley horse paddock.
The most fish in the Bourn but no KF.

River Cole this morning on the River Cole, Trittiford.

This afternoon a real surprise. The heavy rain made the Bourn Brook fast and brown.
I did not expect to see anything.
Then a Grey Wagtail was on a branch trying to feed on debri in the brook.
As I was looking at the Grey Wagtail, I saw something quickly fly past in the distance across the brook.
I thought I knew what it might be.
So I took a closer look and much to my surprise a Kingfisher flew out and off down the brook.
My first on the Bourn Brook for over 4 months.

BITTELL....MILL SHRUB.....2pm...

Crept past the white posts in the car and spied a KINGFISHER through the hedge....parked up and ran back with camera.
Slowly inched forward as they soon see you and go.....could see it through a tiny hole in hedge and got a few clean shots.....another local chap saw me and i showed him before it flew off....
It is a juvenile so either one has moved in the area or a pair have bred here...hope its the latter as the years weather looked to have really messed them about.

Attachments

• _MG_0726.JPG
    _MG_0726.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 18
  • _MG_0735 (3).JPG
    _MG_0735 (3).JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 18
BITTELL....MILL SHRUB.....2pm...
Crept past the white posts in the car and spied a KINGFISHER through the hedge....parked up and ran back with camera.
Slowly inched forward as they soon see you and go.....could see it through a tiny hole in hedge and got a few clean shots.....another local chap saw me and i showed him before it flew off....
It is a juvenile so either one has moved in the area or a pair have bred here...hope its the latter as the years weather looked to have really messed them about.

Nice one Keith!
Yes apart from the River Cole at Trittiford they are difficult to find.
There was one along the River Rea late afternoon, it was quite loud as it's call echoed off the brick wall. Also a Little Egret.
Lots of fish in the Bourn, Bourn Brook and River Rea.

So what an afternoon!
The Kingfisher are back lol!
After the regulars along the River Cole I checked out the Bourn Brook. The brook looked perfect, clear with fish of course. So I thought sooner or later a Kingfisher will fly past. Then next minute the Kingfisher flew past lol. I then found it further up the brook.
Then I thought I would check out the Bourn, Bournville.
I ran past the Valley Parkway boating pond which had some House Martins over it. Then through Bournville park. Then at Cadburys, I stopped to look at the pool where the Bourn goes under the buildings. I then looked up the brook and there was a Kingfisher sat there.
The first time I've ever seen one there and in Cadburys.

Another good Kingfisher day!
After the River Cole, a Kingfisher on the River Rea.
Then late afternoon, 2 chasing along the Bourn Brook.
Then on Twitter, a Kingfisher on the Bourn at Bournville Valley parkway boating pond.

I was at the Bourn, Valley Parkway at first light.
2 Kingfisher went past calling.
The scores on the doors now are;
River Rea 5, Bourn 4, Bourn Brook 3; new sightings.
River Cole Kingfisher still bringing in the fish.

After the River Cole Kingfisher a Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook. Finally back at the blue bridge.
Further along loads of fish where the Bourn Brook joins the Rea.
Reports on twitter of a Kingfisher at Woodbrooke like I thought.
Then a Kingfisher on the Stratford Canal at King's Norton from Rob Strong.

Last edited:
After the River Cole Kingfisher, the Kingfisher was along the Bourn Brook. It emerged from the tree hidden Valley section before the blue bridge. It went up the brook inlet junction. That's the 5th time I've seen it and on quite a short section of the brook. That makes it easier to find but it has to emerge from the tree hidden vValley.

Then later on the River Rea, the Kingfisher gave a loud call as it went past.
That's the 6th time I've seen one now back on the Rea.
I think it was heading to Canon Hil park which means it's range might be longer than I thought.

With the nice weather yesterday and Monday it was good to check out the usual Kingfisher haunts;
Kingfisher present at;
River Cole, Trittiford
River Cole, Babbs Mill - the third time in the same location on as many visits.
Kingshurst Brook lake, Meriden Park - funny there were plenty of fish at the outflow. I said to myself a Kingfisher should be here and then one appeared.
I finally found the real location where the River Rea joins the River Tame but it's hidden by brambles to view. But much to my surprise a Kingfisher called & then flew into view and then another one called. The first one then flew all the way back to Spaghetti Junction & disappeared high up at the nesting bank location.
Having seen 2 Kingfisher chasing on the Bourn Brook, I thought I best check out Woodgate Valley.
And surprise, surprise the Kingfisher was on the brook near the blvd road on the return track where Heron sometime frequent.
Always difficult to find so good to see one here.
There were Grey Wagtails at all these locations.

Last edited:
The Kingfisher on the River Cole yesterday.
This morning on the Bourn Brook walkway, first the Grey Wagtail flew in at high speed to feed on the stones by the grey bridge inlet.
Then I thought the Kingfisher was not going to show and it came up the valley to the grey bridge at high speed, it saw me on the bridge and did a quick u turn back down the brook and showed it's colours.
It was seen on twitter this week also by the blue bridge.
That's seven times now along this section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back