• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

No Kingfisher today, Bourn Brook water fast & high after the overnight rain.
Yesterday the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was by the University halls of residence.

So Saturday the Kingfisher was down by the Uni.
Today the Kingfisher was back by the blue bridge.
I've never noticed so many Chaffinch. Even had a couple in my back garden.
I must see the Bourn Brook Buzzard every few weeks, Sunday it was sat over the brook in a tree.
It seems to have a favourite spot, down from the blue bridge.
Green Woodpeckers started calling a few weeks back.
Now Dunnock calling everywhere.

Not so much for myself, but for a friend who comes birdwatching with us and drives us crackers about Kingfishers.

Can anyone recommend a good place to see them in the Midlands? Think if he gets a good view of one, he will much better to go birding with |:d|
either way please encourage him, Kingfishers are in decline and are likely to continue in this trend. We could soon be seeing a total collapse in their numbers in the UK

I dont know if they are still there but I used to watch them in the ashwood dale

So Saturday the Kingfisher was down by the Uni.
Today the Kingfisher was back by the blue bridge.
I've never noticed so many Chaffinch. Even had a couple in my back garden.
I must see the Bourn Brook Buzzard every few weeks, Sunday it was sat over the brook in a tree.
It seems to have a favourite spot, down from the blue bridge.
Green Woodpeckers started calling a few weeks back.
Now Dunnock calling everywhere.
Green woodpeckers are everywhere now but may I ask you. Have you seen any lesser spotted in recent years down there. I know they have seen a massive decline with the growth of greens and greater spotted, this seems to be due to warming. I am assuming you dont have many left but would be very pleased to hear otherwise

During the week I saw reports of Kingfisher checking out nest site at Ryemeads & Slimbridge so I hoped I would see the same back at the Bourn Brook.
First there was a Little Egret on the new flood plain then down the brook a Kingfisher went past calling.
Then one stopped by opposite me. Then they were flying up and down calling. Then further along they were together & then flying & calling again.
Then a Sparrowhawk went past.
The Starlings started gathering, Dunnocks calling along the brook & a Kingfisher still there.
Great!

Yesterday I thought I best check out Spaghetti Junction and the River Tame.
There was a Female Goosander.
Then I thought I heard a Kingfisher but I didn't see it.
Then I got to where the River Rea meets the River Tame and of course a Kingfisher flew out.
The first weekend for some time I checked out all the Kingfisher hot spots.
Good to find 7 in total. Great!

Last edited:
A great sunny afternoon out for a ride on my bicycle,
I found the Bourn Brook Kingfisher by the big pipes.
I then lost it in the sunlight lol,
the same for a Grey Wagtail further along.
Then further along at the River Rea, a pair of Kingfisher again and the 2 tone call.
I left them to it.
At Ten Acres a Grey Wagtail with great colours in the sunlight flying up and catching the insects from the Rea.
Starlings whistling as I made my way back.
Then stickleback in the Woodbrooke / Bourn.
Great!

Another good day in the sunshine,
after the Kingfisher on the River Cole, there was a female Kingfisher on the River Rea.
In the afternoon the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook by the University.

Got home and straight out on the bike.
The Kingfisher was sat by the Bourn Brook blue bridge.
Some other walkers had already seen it.
Carried onto the River Rea and the Kingfisher flew past calling.
An enjoyable cycle ride.

Another good weekend for Kingfisher.
The pair on the River Cole, Trittiford, today, Sunday and yesterday.
A new location for a pair for me, Kingshurst Brook, Meriden Park.
I saw one fly by the dam where I usually see one so I followed the brook up to near the Asda shop and there were two together calling.
They then flew off and one made it's way to Alcott Wood, where it stopped in a tree over the brook.
Saturday also the regulars on the Bourn Brook and the River Rea.
I saw the one on the Rea twice on Saturday, morning and afternoon, both times it was sat in the same place.
The one on the Bourn Brook by the big tunnel under the Ariel Aquaduct.
Then the one on the Rea, flew past today calling.
6 Kingfisher, 12 sightings over the weekend.

Last edited:
Out on my bike this afternoon along the Bourn Brook.
I didn't see the Kingfisher on my way down but thought I heard it calling,
so cycled back and there it was, sat over the brook opposite the old res.
Two wagtails trying to get the best spot for catching flies.
Great!

A Chiffchaff calling today on the Rea. Yesterday and today the Kingfisher was not at the usual spot on the River Rea. Today I said to myself 'I know where it is' so I went a mile up the river and there was a Kingfisher, it stopped at a few spots and then was gone. Good then to bump into Rob.

Via twitter yesterday a Kingfisher on Merecroft pool. In the afternoon the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was briefly in the valley up from the blue bridge.

Via twitter another person saw the Kingfisher and then a Kestrel on the Bourn Brook
Also via twitter someone saw a Little Egret on the Bourn Brook.
I saw better than a Kingfisher, I saw a pair of Kingfisher.
Great!

Cycle ride along the Bourn Brook this afternoon in the wind.
The Little Egret flew past and stopped by the Kingfisher which gave a call and flew along the brook.

Bourn Walkway; the pair of Kingfisher flew up the brook calling, one went on further whilst the other called for it and went down the brook.
They put up some cameras to monitor the flood relief plain and of course the cameras have been moved. They were not high enough up the poles.
Someone or somebody leaves gifts, banners, balloons etc on the boulders. I finally saw the people doing it. They are in memory of a dead relative. They would have been 50 years old.

Kingfisher again yesterday on the Bourn Brook.
I bumped into some people who got a good photo of it.
I finally found the Kingfisher on the River Rea at King's Norton.
This morning the Kingfisher was on the River Rea where it meets the River Tame.

The Bourn Brook Kingfisher pair were seen this week & posted on Twitter.
In the sunshine this afternoon I went for a cycle ride along the Bourn Brook. I heard the Kingfisher calling & then saw it. Several fish at the blue bridge. A couple Chiffchaff calling & Starlings whistling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back