• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Andy P further reports from the Moors Pool:

15+ Snipe, 4 Oystercatcher, Curlew, 8/9 Shelduck, 6 Gadwall, 9 Pochard, 30 Shoveler, 30 Tufted Duck, 4 Teal, 4 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 4 Little Egret, Med × BH Gull hybrid

The Sailing Pool held 8 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe and 2 Little Egrets

Sorry Phil A As usual I appear to have got it wrong. In my defence I honestly thought the beak was shorter and in a brief head on view it looked like a jack snipe.

For JJS not sure I like the - hopefully unintended - peremptory way in which I have been told but I take the point.

For Phil A again the attached photos of a jack as comparison were taken at the Moors but NOT THIS MONTH .

Pic 1 side view of a real jack snipe
Pic 2 front on view. Both taken 16/10/13 by me at The Moors as a newbe - somebody identified them for me.
Obviously I'm a slow learner.
Pic 3 The pic I posted the other day as the supposed jack.

Phil E

Phil,

No "peremptoriness" (I'll look that up later!) intended.

As you will see, I was actually responding to the other Phil's view on the ID to avoid a possibly incorrect record - just good healthy discussion, I hope!

Best regards

John

Winter thrushes tend to slip away quietly in the Spring as everyone's attention turns to arriving migrants so I would be grateful if all sightings of Fieldfare and Redwing from now on are posted on the forum - for the record I have Fieldfare last sighted on the 17th and Redwing on the 13th.

Flashes Today

One LRP a.m. disturbed returned later a.m.
Checking notes Avocets kept appearing from nooks and crannies inc area between cattle fence nearest hide and 3rd Flash Total when I left around lunchtime 24 on checking my counting notes.

Of other note 8 GCG on Sailing Lake around 9a.m.

Attachments

• 190319 Flashes.jpg
    190319 Flashes.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 25
Today's work party North Moors

GToday 20 of us concentrated mostly on the North Moors.
List of jobs included:-
1.Repairing arch screening to view point (east). Planted willow saplings on West viewpoint screening.
2.Installed screening panel on south side of New hide.
3.Pruned willows next to Bittern channel to open up reeds and lessen the drying effect.
4.Put up new nest boxes.
5. Cleared unwanted vegetation around the 120 mixed hedgerow saplings in the NE corner.. these were planted two years ago and are doing really well.
6.Re-aligned the SE section of the North Moors trail. The rationale for this is ...to increase the distance from the hide and Feeding Station when people walk the trail. This will also benefit birds by increasing the area of scrubland. Most of the reserves hedgerows and scrubland is parallel to paths. When walking along them most of the scrubland birds will fly out. Today's work will stop this from happening and the birds will be allowed to feed and breed undisturbed when people walk this section of the trail. In time scrub will naturally colonize and we will augment this by planting thorn bushes next autumn:t:
Thanks to all the crew
Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Dave H. Ian B. Ian Joh. Jim B. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Ray C. Roger S. Steve T . Sue T. Tony B. Nick newbie and me.
Also thanks Tony B for the cakes:eat:
Great effort everyone and all without the Boss Paul M:-O

See my twitter for photo's of today's work.

Next Tuesday's work party is the Final one of the season all the habitat management will then be completed. Thereafter general maintenance will take place on some Tuesdays , which includes cutting back overgrown paths and generally keeping hides and access user friendly - as and when required.
The only major work will be tern raft refurbishment and re-launching (Late May).

Last edited:
Birding the Reserve Today

MOORS:-
GCG 2. Little grebe 8. Little egret 4.
Cormorant 9. Greylag pr. Mute swan 2.
Shoveler 26-28. Teal 30+. Gadwall 6. Shelduck 4. Pochard 7 (A dead male is at the West end of the east island). Tufted 48. Water rail 3 a bird singing at North Moors. Coot c25.
Snipe 40. Lapwing 8. Oystercatcher 4.
BHG 320. Herring Gull pr. LBBG 3.
Buzzard 2.
Green woodpecker. Great spotted woodp 2. Kingfisher.
Mistle thrush. Song thrush 2. Skylark my 1st of the year.
Starling 60.
Chiffchaff 2 singing. Cetti's 3 singing.
Greenfinch 8. Chaffinch 4. Goldfinch 4.
Coal tit 2.
Reed bunting at least 8 singing males approx 20 birds scattered around the reeds.

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 12.

FLASHES:-
Teal 12. Shelduck 2. Coot 24.
AVOCET 24. LRP 2. Oystercatcher 2. Lapwing 8. Curlew 4. Green sand 4.
BHG 1900. Herring gull 2. LBBG, 9.
Sparrowhawk.
Cetti's w singing . Pied wag.

From the Flashes early morning Andy P reports:

8 Avocet, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, 3 Curlew, 12 Lapwing, 3 Shelduck, Kingfisher

Erosion

A few pics enclosed showing the erosion of the new islands. They are eroding at an alarming rate.|:(||:(||:(|

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 88
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 83
  • snipe1.jpg
    snipe1.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 82
  • snipe2.jpg
    snipe2.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 88
SAILING POOL midday:-
Mute Swan 4, Greylag 2pr, Canada Geese 58, GCG 6, Buzzard 3, Peregrine 1, Chiffchaff 1s, [Sand Martin 5 reported]

GCG 5, 2 displaying. Little Grebe present. Little Egret 5, Cormorant 6. Mute swan 2. Shoveler 28. Teal 21+. Gadwall 4pr. Shelduck 3. Pochard 7. Tufted 35+ Water Rail 2 Snipe 5+. Lapwing 4. Oystercatcher 3. Hybrid Gull 1, Herring Gull pr. + Iw. Buzzard 5.Great Spotted Woodpecker 2. Curlew 1 (later seen on Flashes)Chiffchaff 2 singing. Cetti's 3 singing. BLACKCAP 1 singing

FLASHESat 6pm:-
Teal 12. Shelduck 4. AVOCET 7, LRP 2
BHG 750. Herring gull 2.
Green woodpecker.
Cetti's w singing. Chiffchaff 2s

Contractor at Moors Thursday 21st March

Tomorrow Neil the contractor will be spraying crassula in the Broadmeadow section of the Moors pool.
He will be on site from 8.30am.
This work is needed to control this highly invasive species of wetland plant, if left unchecked the pool will be far less attractive to wetland species of bird, plant and invertebrate.
John

SAILING POOL midday:-
Mute Swan 4, Greylag 2pr, Canada Geese 58, GCG 6, Buzzard 3, Peregrine 1, Chiffchaff 1s, [Sand Martin 5 reported]

GCG 5, 2 displaying. Little Grebe present. Little Egret 5, Cormorant 6. Mute swan 2. Shoveler 28. Teal 21+. Gadwall 4pr. Shelduck 3. Pochard 7. Tufted 35+ Water Rail 2 Snipe 5+. Lapwing 4. Oystercatcher 3. Hybrid Gull 1, Herring Gull pr. + Iw. Buzzard 5.Great Spotted Woodpecker 2. Curlew 1 (later seen on Flashes)Chiffchaff 2 singing. Cetti's 3 singing. BLACKCAP 1 singing

FLASHESat 6pm:-
Teal 12. Shelduck 4. AVOCET 7, LRP 2
BHG 750. Herring gull 2.
Green woodpecker.
Cetti's w singing. Chiffchaff 2s

3 Little Ringed Plover at the Flashes as per Craig J

Think this is the first record of singing Blackcap this spring

At the Flashes this morning Phil W reports:

8 Avocet, 2 Snipe, 2 Shelduck, 2 Oystercatcher, 5 Shelduck, 1 Curlew, 4 Teal, 6 Lapwings, 2 Little Ringed Plover

Great crested grebe today 21-03-2019

Attachments

• 1 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus  2J4A8863.jpg
    1 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus 2J4A8863.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 74
  • 2 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus  2J4A8881.jpg
    2 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus 2J4A8881.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 59
  • 3 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus  2J4A8894.jpg
    3 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus 2J4A8894.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 57
  • 4 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus  2J4A8897.jpg
    4 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus 2J4A8897.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 5 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus  2J4A9053.jpg
    5 Great crested grebe - Podiceps cristatus 2J4A9053.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 67
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Redshank flew in at 0830, 9 Avocet, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, 4 Snipe, 3 Curlew, 10 Lapwing, 3 Shelduck, 10 Shoveler, 10 Teal, BH × Med Gull hybrid.

Peregrine plus 2 Little Egret at the Sailing Pool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back