• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping S9 Plus (1 Viewer)

Jule94

Hello,

I'm from Germany and I am new here.
I hope that my english is good enough.

Yesterday my new Smartphone arrived. (S9 plus)
Today I noticed that I could't use it for phonescoping, because it has a dual lens.
I could't use the telephoto camera without the normal one.

I read a article where someone had the same problem with the i phone 7.
He or she used an app for iOS.

My questions:
1. Is there a special app for Android?( possible freeware)
2. Or could I change something in the settings in the normal camera app from Samsung?

Thanks for your help

Julian

Hi Julian, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I’ve moved your question to the Mobile/iPhone Digiscoping forum so you will get some good answers. I have also subscribed you to this thread (only this thread) so you will receive an email when someone responds. Good luck with your question.

Julian,

I can offer some suggestions but nothing based on personal experience as I still use an Iphone 6S which does not have the dual camera feature.

For one I know there is an app that specifically allows Iphone users to choose which camera they want to utilize but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I will ask in the Phonescoping facebook group as I know it has come up there recently.

Second, if you know that you are going to specifically use the telephoto lens then there are specific adapters now made that allow you to pick which lens you line up with the hole in the adapter. I am thinking the Opticron Universal phonescoping adapter as an example.

Hello FrankD,

thank you for your help.
I have also post my question on some german forum.
No one could help me.
It's my personal experience that phonescoping is not pupular in germany.

thanks and best regards

Julian

Hi Julian,

It's my personal experience that phonescoping is not pupular in germany.

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in digiscoping in general though, maybe people just skip the phonescoping stage in favour of more specialized hardware?

Anyway, one program that might be worth taking a look at is OpenCamera for Android.

No idea if it can handle twin-camera phones yet, but it is Open Source and free ... often that's a combination that's good if you're using innovative stuff (as long as it's not propretiary).

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back