• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two nestbox questions (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

1. Trying to decide on top access (for cleaning etc) or side access. Based on your experience, what are the pros and cons of each?
  2. How to attach to the trunk of a tree? Strongly prefer not to use nails or screws. Maybe bungees...but would they lose elasticity and slip? Maybe hang from a limb, and also wrap? In any case, what works for you?
Thanks!

Do you really need access to the nest and contents whilst the birds are nesting. Any bird can be spooked by a roof or side panel being opened at any stage. Most ornithologists studying passerines use a type with a top opening, but depends on species. Best to leave well alone until the young have fledged and moved out completely. Nowadays, people fit quite affordable nest boxes with a camera fitted so you can watch on a monitor or laptop.
Regarding fixing, any bungees will not be secure ( despite what you think ) and the box could easily move, slip or fall at any time. Tape or wrap is unsightly and will be as flimsy as bungees. Nails, screws or hooks should not harm the tree and ensure a good fix for many years. Alternatively fix to a post or outbuilding.

Do you really need access to the nest and contents whilst the birds are nesting. Any bird can be spooked by a roof or side panel being opened at any stage. Most ornithologists studying passerines use a type with a top opening, but depends on species. Best to leave well alone until the young have fledged and moved out completely. Nowadays, people fit quite affordable nest boxes with a camera fitted so you can watch on a monitor or laptop.....

Definitely won't be opening a box while there are birds using it..was thinking about between seasons. I suppose I'm thinking of which type of door - top or side - is preferable for the birds. Maybe one or the other is better at keeping rain out?

Or maybe I'm overthinking and it doesn't matter |:d|

A practical method of fixing to trees is to use extending plastic-covered curtain wire, normally supplied with a range of fixing hooks in the UK. This method allows the fixing to expand as the tree/branch grows and as to opening, top every time for keeping out the rain and examining the contents.

Which species are you hoping to attract. I can only think of Bluebirds, Chickadees, Swallows, Martins and maybe Owls and Wrens as hole nesters.

Which species are you hoping to attract. I can only think of Bluebirds, Chickadees, Swallows, Martins and maybe Owls and Wrens as hole nesters.

Downy woodpeckers and wrens (Carolina and Bewick's).

Although the wren box probably won't go in a tree

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back