• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 10x42 vs swarovski 10x56 (1 Viewer)

I think I see why I just don't want to get interested in IS binos myself, regardless of how well they may work... not to mention digital zoom etc. Since cameras have become electronic and obsolescent, all my lifelong affection for classic optics that basically last forever has shifted over to binos, where there's no really compelling reason to modernize. I think I'd rather get a Habicht than an IS, just to thumb my nose at "progress".

I would choose a Dialyt 7x42 but for exactly the same reasons.

Lee

There are many beautiful classic binoculars with no electronics available these days, with better performance than what was available five or ten years ago. Several of them I would love to own, have sitting on my shelf and occasionally even use, but for serious birdwatching I no longer use binoculars without IS. I simply see that much more and more easily with them. As far as IS binoculars, I would very much like to see even better models than the current cream of the crop, but as for now the Canon 10x42 IS L offers the best stabilized image available and that is what I will use until something better comes along.

I don't consider electronic IS obsolescent, on the contrary, I now consider non-stabilised binoculars largely obsolete.

But I sympathise with the sentiment of wishing to hold on to lifelong service-free reliable purely opto-mechanical instruments.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back