• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Great views of terns and the Egyptian Goose family today :)

Attachments

• 73644F47-F324-496C-9A93-26664094B7BF.jpeg
    73644F47-F324-496C-9A93-26664094B7BF.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 31
  • C405F5F1-BD6C-44C1-8A78-42C199072110.jpeg
    C405F5F1-BD6C-44C1-8A78-42C199072110.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 32
Yes - no toilets, but the rest of the courtyard looked open when we drove past. You cannot go on the small walkway at the entrance and there were some sections which were one way. But we had an excellent experience!

Cheers:t:

I have popped in a couple of times along with all the boaters that wander around when moored on the towpath but just to scope the pools from the access track - never bothered going on to the reserve but will now visit 'officially':t:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Hi

It’s basically a figure of 8! Terns mainly on the first pools. Egyptian geese family at the far end of the cross path, if you turn left on entry to the pools section - hope that makes sense! They are regularly visible according to the warden we spoke to on Saturday.

Sometimes Hobbies by the bridge over the Tame, but we did not see any. Worth going over though if you have time.

A first for the region - a female Pallid Harrier - spent its second day today hunting over the reserve.
Now we have 3 species of Harriers for the year with a beautiful male Hen Harrier over Dosthill NR and Jubilee wetlands before heading towards the Hall this afternoon, also a juvenile Marsh Harrier was over North Pit (there has been a female Marsh Harrier around also).
Waders seen today included 10 Golden Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Redshank and 6 Snipe. 2 Great White Egret and several Little Egret were also noted.
Yesterday a Bittern was on Dosthill NR viewed from the north screen.

Beautiful day and a few good sightings. Amazing numbers of mute swans on adjacent field.

Attachments

• FB16D3F2-003D-44A4-A899-7FCD6B5A606B.jpeg
    FB16D3F2-003D-44A4-A899-7FCD6B5A606B.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3EE7754E-9FF7-4C20-9B48-9F99E85FE9BF.jpeg
    3EE7754E-9FF7-4C20-9B48-9F99E85FE9BF.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 10
  • FA546FF0-8D5E-43DA-BBAC-6F79AA146571.jpeg
    FA546FF0-8D5E-43DA-BBAC-6F79AA146571.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 10
Hi all,

So excited to hear a bittern booming at Middleton today. A volunteer said it was a first for Middleton?

Just hope there was a female nearby!

For those that have visited recently, as May is a washout to put it politely and mildly - what is the current situation with previous ‘water management’ issues i.e. has anything bred or is it knee-deep in dead Gull and wader chicks?

Laurie -

For those that have visited recently, as May is a washout to put it politely and mildly - what is the current situation with previous ‘water management’ issues i.e. has anything bred or is it knee-deep in dead Gull and wader chicks?

Laurie -
I've only been there once this year so I can't comment on the success or failure of breeding waders but I did see a report from yesterday saying " redshank and avocet conspicuous by their absence ". From what I believe the lagoons are all linked to the River Tame by a sluice gate as part of a flood alleviation scheme under the control of the Environment Agency ,not the RSPB. It's part of the planning permission for the whole site. So it's completely in the lap of the gods whether the weather inundates the islands in the crucial breeding season months. It might be possible to isolate Jubilee Wetlands and raise the water level in the other pits but that might have the effect of flooding the paths.

Yes unfortunately the agreement the RSPB has appears to involve the use of the reserve as a sump during the breeding season. This has to change otherwise the status of the place is seriously degraded. Water could be diverted down to the fields at the far end - whether this is an option i do not know - meanwhile i will be contacting the RSPB for a statement on this and their thoughts on future management as Spring flooding appears to be the ‘new normal’ which will not include ground-nesting birds something for which the place was set up for in the first instance.....

Good Birding and thanks for replying.

Laurie -

A singing BLYTH'S REED WARBLER - a first for the region - present this morning for its second day in the northeast corner of the reserve from the River Walk path.

After various people recommending Middleton Lakes to me I finally visiting it today and had an excellent day. It’s a lovely site with more than I managed to get around to seeing in one day out so I will definitely visit again. I saw and heard 51 species of bird including a Redshank, 2 Avocets, a Cetti’s Warbler (heard a few and saw one), heard a Bittern, Shelduck, Egyptian Goose, Gralag Goose, Snipe, Oystercatcher and I also saw a Muntjac Deer.

First visit of the year and 49 species were seen, quiet but highlights included 1 Hooded Merganser, 2 Little Egret, 1 Gt White Egret, 1 Water Rail, 27 Golden Plover and a Chiffchaff.
Best part was finding a pub has been opened at the courtyard Middleton Hall with a nice selection of bottled beers to try, had a glass of Bath Ales Wild Hare, very tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back